Question gas furnace in floor directly in front of bedroom door

I just moved into a single dwelling that I am renting and noticed that there's a huge grate (34" x 22") for an in-floor gas burning furnace (the pilot is lit) right in front of the bedroom door (one cannot enter the bedroom without walking on it). Even walking over it bare foot when it's off hurts the feet - but I am worried about what will have when I have to turn the thing on when winter comes. This doesn't seem safe to me. Is it legal?

Would this apply?

International Mechanical Code:

SECTION 910 FLOOR FURNACES

910.1 General. Floor furnaces shall be installed in accordance with their listing and the manufacturer's installation instructions. Oil-fired furnaces shall be tested in accordance with UL 729.

910.2 Placement. Floor furnaces shall not be installed in the floor of any aisle or passageway of any auditorium, public hall, place of assembly, or in any egress element from any such room or space.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: gas furnace in floor directly in front of bedroom door

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mark Carey View Post
    I just moved into a single dwelling that I am renting and noticed that there's a huge grate (34" x 22") for an in-floor gas burning furnace (the pilot is lit) right in front of the bedroom door (one cannot enter the bedroom without walking on it). Even walking over it bare foot when it's off hurts the feet - but I am worried about what will have when I have to turn the thing on when winter comes. This doesn't seem safe to me. Is it legal?

Would this apply?

910.1 General. Floor furnaces shall be installed in accordance with their listing and the manufacturer's installation instructions. Oil-fired furnaces shall be tested in accordance with UL 729.

910.2 Placement. Floor furnaces shall not be installed in the floor of any aisle or passageway of any auditorium, public hall, place of assembly, or in any egress element from any such room or space.

No, that does not apply. A residence does not meet any of the listed requirements of 910.2

Maybe not too smart and may not meet the listing instructions, for that you need the make, model, and maybe serial number to find the documents. Look for a data plate inside the grating.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Would this apply?

The requirements will depend on the codes in use in your area as well as the codes in effect when the furnace was first installed.
    That said, does not sound like there is a violation.
    The code you posted does not prohibit that location.

Suggestion, don't walk on it barefoot.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

erika krieger Guest

... Would this apply? Mechanical Code:

You might want to refer to this section of the Residential Code, While only applicable to new construction and in those jurisdictions that have adopted it, there is some good information:

SECTION G2437
    (609) FLOOR FURNACES

G2437.1 (609.1) General.
    Floor furnaces shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.86/CSA 2.32 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

G2437.2 (609.2) Placement.
    The following provisions apply to floor furnaces:

1. Floors. Floor furnaces shall not be installed in the floor of any doorway, stairway landing, aisle or passageway of any enclosure, public or private, or in an exitway from any such room or space.

2. Walls and corners. The register of a floor furnace with a horizontal warm air outlet shall not be placed closer than 6 inches (152 mm) to the nearest wall. A distance of at least 18 inches (457 mm) from two adjoining sides of the floor furnace register to walls shall be provided to eliminate the necessity of occupants walking over the warm air discharge. The remaining sides shall be permitted to be placed not closer than 6 inches (152 mm) to a wall. Wall-register models shall not be placed closer than 6 inches (152 mm) to a corner.

3. Draperies. The furnace shall be placed so that a door, drapery, or similar object cannot be nearer than 12 inches (305 mm) to any portion of the register of the furnace.

4. Floor construction. Floor furnaces shall not be installed in concrete floor construction built on grade.

5. Thermostat. The controlling thermostat for a floor furnace shall be located within the same room or space as the floor furnace or shall be located in an adjacent room or space that is permanently open to the room or space containing the floor furnace.

I have seen many floor furnaces where I am, but mostly in older homes and all those were in hallways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clarke View Post
    I have seen many floor furnaces where I am, but mostly in older homes and all those were in hallways.
    That is why the codes now specifically state not to put them there - common sense did not prevail 'back then', their only thoughts were 'where will this huge thing fit and where will the air circulate the best - oh, right here in the middle of the doorway ... '

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com