JoeVSmith Guest

Default Outlet spacing along glass wall?

What are the requirements for outlets along a wall that is floor to ceiling glass(residential). I know the 6'/12' rule for wall but am not sure how this applies to glass walls.

Thanks Joe

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Outlet spacing along glass wall?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVSmith View Post
    What are the requirements for outlets along a wall that is floor to ceiling glass(residential). I know the 6'/12' rule for wall but am not sure how this applies to glass walls.

Thanks Joe
    You need to ask the AHJ in your specific area as to what they want. What is written and what the real person might want to see can be two different things.... Best to get it from the horses mouth!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

JoeVSmith Guest

Thanks will do.

What Scott said, but a wall is a wall same rules apply. You may need a floor receptacle outlet if putting it in the wall will not work.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

My experience is that I see floor outlets. To build a wall that is glass I would put in floor outlets. Just makes it nicer if you need an outlet, if nothing else.

Alain Charron Guest

Just going from memory from my electrical course, the rule does not apply where there are windows... at least here in Ontario. A receptacle is required every 12 feet of wall, excluding under windows.

Like I said, going from memory only... I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain Charron View Post
    Just going from memory from my electrical course, the rule does not apply where there are windows... at least here in Ontario. A receptacle is required every 12 feet of wall, excluding under windows.

Like I said, going from memory only... I might be wrong.
    Well ... he does have "ca" as his location ... but is that for Canada or for California?

The NEC requires that spacing at walls, if the glass is fixed in place then receptacles would be required, but could be floor receptacles. If the glass is operable, like a sliding glass door, then no receptacle would be required.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Alain Charron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Well ... he does have "ca" as his location ... but is that for Canada or for California?

The NEC requires that spacing at walls, if the glass is fixed in place then receptacles would be required, but could be floor receptacles. If the glass is operable, like a sliding glass door, then no receptacle would be required.
    That is ca for Canada... I did mention that I was from Ontario...

Quote Originally Posted by Alain Charron View Post
    That is ca for Canada... I did mention that I was from Ontario...
    Ontario, San Bernardino Co, California
    Founded 1891, 50 sq. miles, population 166,000, about 35 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    My experience is that I see floor outlets. To build a wall that is glass I would put in floor outlets. Just makes it nicer if you need an outlet, if nothing else.
    Floor outlets to be counted in the calcs for wall spacing must be within 18 inches of the wall

- - - Updated - - -

Floor outlets to be counted in the calcs for wall spacing must be within 18 inches of the wall

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Just an additional note: The fixed portion (non-sliding pane) of a sliding door or door wall is also 'wall space' to be included in the 6' - 12' & 2' rule.