Default call for replacement and list other problems?

This one comes up a lot in different areas but the one fresh in my mind from today is on a FPE panel. I call for replacement, do I then note the missing knockouts, missing screws in the panel cover, etc.?

I think I've gone back and forth over the years. I'm leaning towards not saying anything other than replacement since once I start listing other repairs it's almost leaving the possibility open that it won't just be replaced.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: call for replacement and list other problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    This one comes up a lot in different areas but the one fresh in my mind from today is on a FPE panel. I call for replacement, do I then note the missing knockouts, missing screws in the panel cover, etc.?

I think I've gone back and forth over the years. I'm leaning towards not saying anything other than replacement since once I start listing other repairs it's almost leaving the possibility open that it won't just be replaced.
    Even though I agree with you, and always call out FPEs; I would include everything.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

I agree with Steven, I call all of it. If they don't choose to replace the panel, they still have a hazard with an opening (knock-out missing) in the panel or sharp ended screws etc. Better safe than sorry.

A list of defects gets their attention.
    "Have a qualified and competent electrician ....."
    Let them know this is serious and beyond the scope of a handyman, and also, there could be more problems here than what was discovered in the short time of a home inspection.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Absolutely list every type of problem you observe. That just reinforces your recommendation that the electrical system needs to be looked at by a licensed electrician.