Thread: Whirlpool gunk

Default Whirlpool gunk

Hello All,

Who has the magic cure to de-funk a whirlpool that shoots gunk out of the jets?

Thanks

Corey

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Whirlpool gunk

Fill the tub with water and bleach,run it for 15 minutes,that should clean the pipes,if really bad,repeat above.That should make it like new again.

Last edited by Harry Janssen; 06-18-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Dishwasher detergent, hot water and a little bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Dishwasher detergent, hot water and a little bleach.
    Bleach should not be mixed with some detergents.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Friedman View Post
    Hello All,

Thanks

Corey
    Is that like a hydromassage bathtub?

Thanks for your fast response and input.

Corey

After seeing this a few times, I came up with these two notes that I use in my reports, depending on the circumstances:

"A significant quantity of dark debris or other material was noted to come out of the jets when the tub was tested. Recommend a thorough rinsing of the pump circulation piping to eliminate any additional dark material that could be present there. It may also be helpful to consult with the manufacturer or a qualified contractor about how best to clean the tub plumbing."

"To prevent damage, the circulating pump should never be operated unless all of the jets are completely immersed under water, and care should be taken to never block the pump intake screen in the tub while the pump is operating. To prevent the growth of mold, or the accumulation of other residue in the circulation piping, it is recommended that after use the tub be completely drained, refilled with clean water, and the pump be operated for a few minutes to thoroughly flush out the pump and jet piping before final draining. It is also recommended that the owner's manual be read and understood before the tub is used."

Hello All,

Thanks

Corey
    Fill up the tub with warm water over the jets and run until the mold blows out, about a minute. Drain and clean tub. Buy a gallon of white vinegar. Fill up the tub with cold water over the jets. Dump in the vinegar. Run it for 10 minutes. Never heard of the bleach idea, but a little wouldn't hurt. This was in the instructions for my jet tub and should be done 1 -2 times a year.

If you read the warranty and the USER MANUAL, it is recommended to periodically clean the tub with hot water, plus dishwasher detergent, and bleach. (You can do it all in one shot.)

I have a friend who is a general contractor with a sore on his behind. He would soak in the tub, thinking it would heal it and he basically reinfected it each time he used the whirlpool. Took him six months before the thing healed.

As a side note most fiberglass tub manufacturers also will void the warranty if any abrasive such as comet is used. You need to use Barkeepers Friend or a spray cleaner.

The cleaning frequency of the bleach/dishwasher soap will vary with the sediment (if well water) and how often the occupants use it. I clean my everytime I change the furnace filter. When you think about it, it's really common sense to clean out the dead skin, soap and bacteria that grow in the water jets and tubes.

Hello All, Who has the magic cure to de-funk a whirlpool that shoots gunk out of the jets? Thanks
    Corey
    Corey,

Best bet is to check the manufacturer's operation instructions. If they cannot be found, they may be online. Otherwise, the manufacturer will generally provide a copy.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/