Default dangerous grout sealer

Interesting article in the NY Times today about a grout sealer spray that has sickened quite a few people and the failure of the company, the CPSC and, probably, Home Depot, to get it off the shelves.
    Dangerous Sealer Stayed on Shelves After Recall - New York Times

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: dangerous grout sealer

I think Lowe's carries it too.

I remember walking through the store (I think it was Lowe's) a couple of months ago and my wife saying 'Don't forget, you've never sealed the grout in the kitchen floor yet. Look at this, it's so easy.'

I read the can and asked myself out loud 'If I spray this on the floor while standing, where is all the rest - most of it, not much is going to get on the grout - go? All over the tile ... I wonder what it will take to clean it off the tile and if that will be any easier than actually getting down to seal the grout with a liquid grout sealer?'

So I did not buy it, and, no, I still have not sealed the grout.

Now, after reading that, *I AM GLAD* I did not buy it. Wow!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think it says in the article that the product is a HD exclusive, but I'm too lazy to look again.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I think it says in the article that the product is a HD exclusive, but I'm too lazy to look again.
    It could be, we've been in both so often this past year and a half working on the house we bought up here (but the Lowe's store is much closer, and they carry slightly higher quality stuff, so we go there much more often) that I don't remember what-I-saw-where, I just remember seeing it and reading the can and thinking 'not for me'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

According a NYT article it is called Stand ’n Seal and has sickened over 80 people and killed 2. It was recalled in 2005 but remained on shelves for over a year. The product that finally replaced it contained the same chemical that caused the earlier injuries and has itself caused injuries.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Michael Larson Guest

NEWS from CPSC

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Old (albeit important) news, and unfortunately, it is still on the shelves today.

william siegel Guest

Ahhh, if only I was a lawyer I could retire; but I'm sure someone has already beat me to the couthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by william siegel View Post
    Ahhh, if only I was a lawyer I could retire; but I'm sure someone has already beat me to the couthouse.
    Yep!

Stand n Seal Grout Sealer Lawsuit | O'Steen & Harrison

Jerry,

My son-in-law worked tile/stone flooring sales for years he said Aqua Mix - For Professionals may not be available at a bigbox

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 10-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good