Paul Osofsky Guest

Default Home owner from Staten Island New York

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Home owner from Staten Island New York

Hi Paul, I also live on Staten Island. What type of advice are you looking for?

Dating? Stock Market?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Paul Osofsky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Hi Paul, I also live on Staten Island. What type of advice are you looking for?

Dating? Stock Market?
    Just had new 3 ton Trane ac installed. 5 ton coil ,new Trane furnace I was told to keep fan on at all times. Thermostat set to 72 degrees. House feels cold but very humid. I have a 1800 sq ft home.

First off sounds like you had a hack install the system if they really did install a system that far apart on matching. Was this by design, as in both coil and unit installed new or just trying to piece together old and new parts?
    Running the fan after the system is off may exacerbate the moisture issue since it will redistribute water off of the coil throughout the house. Running the fan can help balance out uneven air distribution but will likely do little to address clamminess due to high humidity.

The installer should have run a manual J calculation to pick the right size of equipment, ask to see that sheet. A system that is too large for the space will create high humidity problems and the indoor coil that is 40% larger than it is supposed to be will make matters worse.

You might call Trane customer service engineer for advice... but they have a vested interest in siding with their installer.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I did a little research regarding your question; and Jim has hit the nail on its head, although I did recall some exceptions... and there are. If you would like to follow the thread where I posted your question in a HVAC forum: Click here.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Paul,
    Short explanation on what you are experiencing.

Jim is correct on need for a Manual J analysis to be performed for correct sizing of system.

An oversize system will cool the air without removing the moisture. The thermostat will shut the cooling function off due to the temperature being reached though the moisture has not been removed.

An over sized system may cause the A coil to freeze up and not allow the moisture to condense and then run off of the coil.

Keeping the fan on constantly will allow the A Coil, if frozen, to defrost prior to the next cycle. This may be a solution to the freezing Coil problem due to being over sized, but is not a long term solution for the correct functioning of the system.

I seriously do not think that residual condensation (water) on the A Coil being reintroduced into the house, with the fan on constantly as opposed to Auto (on & off with cooling), is why you are getting the clammy cold effect that your are experiencing. It is typically a result to either over sized system size or undersized ducts. The volume of air that moves through the system is integral to the systems ability to condition (remove moisture and cool the air) the air in the home.