brianmiller Guest

Default cord and plug for tankless water heater

The cord and plug used for this tankless water heater is wrong (extension cord used)...Now putting that aside, my question is , are cord and plugs allowed for water heaters. I've only seen them hardwired.

Also, is this gas shutoff valve proper? I've only seen the red handle.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by brianmiller; 07-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: cord and plug for tankless water heater

Cord and plug might be allowed only if the manufacturers installation instructions allow it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Cord and plug going thru a wall is not allowed, AFAIK.

I have seen a water heaters on a cord only where the HO needed to run it with a generator several times a year. I still called it out as improper.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The color of the gas valve handle isn't relevant. It needs to be rated for the intended use.

Some tankless water heaters (Rinnai comes to mind) come with attached cord and plug for power. However a cord is not allowed to pass through a wall and I suspect the extension cord was used on the water heater in question to facilitate the longer run to the interior location.

The gas valve needs to be marked with the rating for the valve, and that rating must be acceptable for your area. Typically you'll see a number like 200WOG or 600WOG.

Also, that gas is piped wrong.

brianmiller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    Some tankless water heaters (Rinnai comes to mind) come with attached cord and plug for power. However a cord is not allowed to pass through a wall and I suspect the extension cord was used on the water heater in question to facilitate the longer run to the interior location.

The gas valve needs to be marked with the rating for the valve, and that rating must be acceptable for your area. Typically you'll see a number like 200WOG or 600WOG.

Also, that gas is piped wrong.
    THanks for everyone's inputs...How is the gas piped wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    THanks for everyone's inputs...How is the gas piped wrong?
    For starters, where is the sediment trap? Is there a sediment trap.

The closeness of the photo to the unit does not show much of what may be needed to make a full determination of the various aspects of the installation - do you have other photos showing a full view and other angles?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have a gas tankless in my home. I came with factory power cord that plugs into receptacle. The power cord is typical for a gas unit. The power is only for electronic controls and a power vent if has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I have a gas tankless in my home. I came with factory power cord that plugs into receptacle. The power cord is typical for a gas unit. The power is only for electronic controls and a power vent if has one.
    It's likely the manufacturer allows it.
    See post #2

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

brianmiller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    For starters, where is the sediment trap? Is there a sediment trap.

The closeness of the photo to the unit does not show much of what may be needed to make a full determination of the various aspects of the installation - do you have other photos showing a full view and other angles?
    I got the lack of drip leg....here are some other photos. ........Since the tankless has electric for power....would a disconnect adjacent to the unit be required?

Last edited by brianmiller; 07-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    I got the lack of drip leg....here are some other photos. ........Since the tankless has electric for power....would a disconnect adjacent to the unit be required?
    Good lord, none of that looks right.

From the installation manual:
    WARNING: Do not use an extension cord or an adapter plug withthis appliance. The water heater must be electrically grounded inaccordance with local codes and ordinances or, in theabsence of local codes, in accordance with theNational Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA No. 70.
    Indoor water heaters are equipped with a three‐prong (grounding) plug for your protection againstshock hazard and should be plugged directly into aproperly grounded three‐prong receptacle. Do notcut or remove the grounding terminal from this plug.

and also
    On outdoor models, a disconnect switch must beprovided and installed for the incoming 120 VACpower. It should be a type that is suitable for outdooruse. Check the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA70 and your local codes for a proper switch type touse in your area.

Is that an appliance connector supplying the gas and passing through that wall? If so, that's wrong as well. If the plumbing wasn't all covered up with insulation (that isn't going to help them one bit the way it's installed) we'd probably see the plumbing is wrong as well.