Default Is this a proer p-trap for a HVAC condesation line. I see it a lot.

I see this p-trap a lot. It does not look like it is doing much sloping down hill like that. Obviously he needs a cleanout installed as well. What about the trap? Does it need to go like a " U" like a trap for a sink or would this be fine as long as it ws not on a slope.?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Is this a proer p-trap for a HVAC condesation line. I see it a lot.

Looks good

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

This is pretty shallow and has no vent, a "running" trap. Look at the a/c manufacturers requirements to know for sure. Most will specify a certain depth trap to overcome the pressure differential.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This is pretty shallow and has no vent, a "running" trap. Look at the a/c manufacturers requirements to know for sure. Most will specify a certain depth trap to overcome the pressure differential.
    As Jim said, that's a 'running trap', those are not allowed.

Typically, the minimum trap seal (depth) required is 2", I've seen required depths of 3", 4", 5",

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com