Default Please help me Identify this item.

Hi everyone,

Happy independence Day. I found this item mounted to the rafters in the attic of a home that I inspected yesterday. No power or control wiring present. Can anyone please enlighten me? It appears to be some type of detector/sensor but I can't be certain.

Thanks,

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

Default Re: Please help me Identify this item.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 07-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Thanks Rick!

George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

I agree with Rick. The ones I have seen looked similar, but older looking. Have not seen one for awhile, but I think they were usually gray or maybe light brown?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by George Hallaron View Post
    Hi everyone,

Happy independence Day. I found this item mounted to the rafters in the attic of a home that I inspected yesterday. No power or control wiring present. Can anyone please enlighten me? It appears to be some type of detector/sensor but I can't be certain.

Thanks,
    I agree with Rick, that is a heat detector - however it's sensor is spent/tripped (orange in center) and to "work" would require a new one.

Its detection to notification operation are mechanical in function and nature.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    ... however it's sensor is spent/tripped (orange in center) ....
    Not doubting what you say, but I have not heard of that.
    Do you have a source?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Do you have a source?
    Learn somethint new
    Found a source
    http://www.alarmswork.com/downloads/...INK_Manual.pdf

p13
    A bright orange
    indicator in the center of the Sensor
    indicates that it has been tripped
    and MUST be replaced.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Its a "Heat Alarm"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Do you have a source?
    Sure Rick. The Standard and Regs have required a visual indication of a both a tripped (no longer functional) sensor and of a missing sensor for such (free-standing, non interlinked non-system0 heat detector/Heat Alarms (mechanical) (limited audible alarm 'bell') for some time. (Negative court awards and death determinations/awqrds also 'drove' the requirements, IIRC).

Here's (attached .pdf doc) an example of one of several "such" modern manuals (clickable link to source):

http://www.alarmswork.com/downloads/...INK_Manual.pdf

See especially the piston type trigger and illustrations of the sensor "disks" at Pages 3 and 4; and see information on both the trigger pin and sensor disk and illustrations numbers 3 & 4 on pg 10; and finally and most importantly the 2nd & 3rd paragraph with illustration on page 13 of 16 which read thusly:

A visual examintion of the Alarm should be done periodically to ensure that it is still active, and has not been tripped. A bright orange indicator in the center of the Sensor indicates that it has been tripped and MUST be replaced. Attic Alarms in particular should be checked periodically to ensure they are still set.

A larger bright orange warning label is visible if no Sensor is installed.

Several being mkt'd Triad or Triac IIRC is another, there are others (not RORs) esp. on the WWW.

The visual indicator that the sensor had been activated/spent and/or is missing (for this type heat detector) has been required for quite some time I think I'm remembering right. IIRC not only required for the standards (UL for the availability of the alarm/detector operation as its manual/mechanical, Standards based on the NFPA and upon federal legislation and Commission Rules. NFPA 72, Ch, 11; UL 539, etc.

HTH.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-05-2013 at 06:15 PM.