brianmiller Guest

Default Water heater / spillage?

Last edited by brianmiller; 07-09-2013 at 10:11 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Water heater / spillage?

Looks like it is the result of condensation forming in stack and falling back to top of H2O heater. Or that there is rain coming down causing the rust. Either way it is not good. Depending on the age of the unit it may be much-to-do about nothing.

Plywood ceiling? Is that inside a garage? Anything above the garage or just attic space?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The diameter of the flue pipe appears to be a bit oversized when you look at where it connects to the draft hood.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Cool Re: Water heater / spillage?

Looks like B-vent where they failed to use a Draft Hood Connector. This often results in a pinched in or daisy petaled joint. The insulation on the pipes need to be cut back for a 6" clearance from the hood. The vent needs to be supported between the firestop and the draft hood. The rest of the vent should be inspected by a pro.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

brianmiller Guest

It's in a closet in the garage. Looks like a plywood ceiling to me , too. Nothing above, just attic space.

Bob, do you have a picture showing a b-vent attached to the connector you are talking about? This is how all the plumbers install water heaters hear.

How old is the water heater? 2008?

The stains look dry. Do you test with a moisture meter?

Seeing the insulation and plastic rings in good shape on a 5 ? yr old tank I'd note it maybe but tell my client this is most likely nothing bad with the water heater..

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Draft hood connector.jpg Each mfr. has their own listed part. See the listing mark on this sticker from Selkirk? It is essentially a B-vent female end up so it connects properly to the next whole section of B-vent above it but the bottom is simply the single walled aluminum liner. What is does is provide the access to the single walled pipe so screws can properly engage and pull the liner tight to the appliance collar or draft hood. When you try to screw through the outer wall of B-vent, it tends to just push the inner section inwards, blocking the vent and not really securing it. This is a positive connection.

You don't see this part too often because the techs don't even know about it or are too lazy to order it. The supply house counter guys don't know about it either and rarely keep them in stock. Then again, I can say the same thing for listed firestops and supports.

brianmiller Guest

Is a draft hood connector required by mfg instructions? Code?

I'd imagine you'd want the same draft hood connector for a furnace ?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    Is a draft hood connector required by mfg instructions? Code?

I'd imagine you'd want the same draft hood connector for a furnace ?
    The code requires B-vent be installed per vent mfrs. listed instructions and the appliance mfrs. requirements. If the mfr. of the B-vent does not require it but offer it then it is not required but HIGHLY recommended.

What does it matter whether it is a water heater, boiler or furnace? If its a CAT I appliance then B-vent is the approved and preferred venting.

Is it normal that the bottom of the drip legs are discolored? Do you think the draft hood is properly centered over the opening, looks a little offset but I'm not sure if this would be a problem.

thanks!

b

Should have added to check the burner interior base for signs of rust and water. But I am sure you did.

Rarely see the b-vent connectors at water heaters, often the b-vent is not even connected to the draft diverter at all. Two water heaters, same home, new roof 4 years ago. Furnace vents were in the same shape...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Is it normal that the bottom of the drip legs are discolored? Do you think the draft hood is properly centered over the opening, looks a little offset but I'm not sure if this would be a problem.

thanks!

b
    There are no "drip legs" pictured in the images you posted.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-06-2013 at 10:19 AM.

tom daley Guest

Bob,

Thank you for the info and pic.

The connector is referenced: 4RV-DHC
    What does the RV signify (round vent?)

I've never seen one of these in-situ, but what i have sometimes seen is a short length of type-B, pilot holed and three 1/4" Zip's screwed to the Draft Hood - or even a snipped length of Type-B.