Janet Mellor Guest

Default Advice needed...

Hello folks... This is not technically a Home Inspection question but I thought you might know the answer. I'm responding to a Request For Proposals for a Physical Needs Assessment from a not-for-profit that has acquired some residential properties, single family and multi, different sizes and ages, and they want someone to go in and tell them what needs to be done/repaired/replaced etc. and WHEN. Not a problem, been doing that kind of thing for many years, but then I got to this: "Identify source and/or method for establishing Expected Useful Life timetables. Oops... can't just say "It's beat, get rid of it." "It's out of date- needs to be replaced (in My Opinion)." I don't think they're asking for Educated Guess. Do any of you know of a database that lists the life expectancy of building components? There is all sorts of published data about the energy efficiency of everything and I know how to justify getting rid of an old boiler or old windows etc for energy reasons but..they're asking for everything in the house... cabinets, plumbing, fixtures, fittings, wiring. I'd be fine if I could just "estimate" all that but they want some sort of justification for the estimate. Any ideas?

Thanks!

And... an aside. How many of you put energy efficiency into your reports? Of course this is not in anybody's Standards but why are we not doing this? If we see a dangerous electrical or mechanical or plumbing condition we say "Hire a qualified whatever..." If we see a refrigerator made before 2001 or a 20 year old boiler/furnace or an attic without insulation why do we not say "You can save a lot of energy=$$$ by upgrading this and that. Get an Energy Auditor"? Safety issue only for the planet but information a homeowner can benefit from. I'd like to see this introduced into the Standards. Anybody going to the NAHI Conference? Make some noise!

Last edited by Janet Mellor; 07-09-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Advice needed...

Builders, Lenders, Insurers, Feds to name a few have component life expectancy studies.
    * all go out the window with hard use / deferred maintenance.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ontentID=99359

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Janet Mellor Guest

Default Re: Advice needed...

Perfect! Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Builders, Lenders, Insurers, Feds to name a few have component life expectancy studies.
    * all go out the window with hard use / deferred maintenance.

http://www.nahb.org/fileUpload_detai...ontentID=99359