Al Roden Guest

Default Properly braced sectional door?

I read the installation instructions for this Genie opener and it seems to say that reinforcement wrackets are not required when installed on a properly braced sectional door. So, what exactly is a "properly braced" sectional door?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Properly braced sectional door?

The garage door pictured is not "properly braced". It needs a strut across the entire width at the top of the door. Google "garage door strut".

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I don't recall seeing a Double wide door with only one spring

Was the door balanced?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I don't recall seeing a Double wide door with only one spring

Was the door balanced?

One head torsion spring will do the door. It looks like the lightest door design. Pressed single layer panels. The entire door assembly really doesn't weigh much.

Al,
    The operator instructions rely on the instructions from the door manufacture as an out for liability. On what is considered " not required when installed on a properly braced sectional door."

You have a single layer door and the panels do not have much that increases their rigidity. You door can flex and bind easily causing it to twist. Strengthen the top panel to distribute force across the span.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Roden View Post
    I read the installation instructions for this Genie opener and it seems to say that reinforcement wrackets are not required when installed on a properly braced sectional door. So, what exactly is a "properly braced" sectional door?
    Doors that are braced by the manufacturer often have a sort of V shaped rib about 1-1/2 to 2" deep near the top edge of the top panel. I think every wide door of the type shown comes with this rib, but most single doors do not. The same angle iron typically used to hang the tracks is used but many installers to brace the top edge. That is what was called for in the door and opener manuals for my doors.

brianmiller Guest

does anyone have a picture of an installed, properly braced/strut at the top of the garage door?

thanks,

b

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    does anyone have a picture of an installed, properly braced/strut at the top of the garage door?

thanks,

b
    It's the brace running horizontally across the top of the door.

Orlando Garage Door Installation | Central Florida Garage Door Installer | United Garage Doors of Central Florida

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com