Thread: Disposal Switch

Default Disposal Switch

I keep telling clients that they should not locate their kitchen disposal switch at a height where a child could switch it on. I see nothing in the code that dictates this? Anyone know if that it true?

Thanks,
    Michael

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Disposal Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boeger View Post
    I keep telling clients that they should not locate their kitchen disposal switch at a height where a child could switch it on. I see nothing in the code that dictates this? Anyone know if that it true?

Thanks,
    Michael
    A switch for a disposal can be located anywhere you could normally locate a switch.
    Under the counter is acceptable.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boeger View Post

Thanks,
    Michael
    There is nothing in any of the codes that I know of. I am curious why you telling your clients this?? It's not the best thing to make up stuff as you go along. At least with something written in a code or standard you will have hundreds of really smart people to back you up..IMHO

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Miller View Post
    There is nothing in any of the codes that I know of. I am curious why you telling your clients this?? It's not the best thing to make up stuff as you go along. At least with something written in a code or standard you will have hundreds of really smart people to back you up..IMHO
    Well, there has been cases, including to my cousin, where toddlers have come up to the cabinet mounted switch and turned it on while someone has had there hand in the disposal trying to clean something out of it. She was lucky enough to pull her hand out just in time. The switch could also be accidently switched on my the person standing at the sink with their hip. I just think it has potential for harm and want to make my clients aware of the risks involved. Just because there is no "code" for something, doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to harm someone.

Attachment 29109

OK, I am not sure moving the switch would help the adult in this case.

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Someone had their hand in the disposal, then a child turned the disposal on?????????

I guess it could happen, on The Lucy Show.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Nothing in code to require it but we are home inspectors and paid for our opinions which can go above code. I just always try to differentiate between my opinions and code or minimum standards. Common sense can go a long way to protect people but we also can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Nothing in code to require it but we are home inspectors and paid for our opinions which can go above code. I just always try to differentiate between my opinions and code or minimum standards. Common sense can go a long way to protect people but we also can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.
    I see this is old thread - been looking for some info to reflect 2020 NEC code on disposals etc, So as a homeowner and buyer or seller at times; I hope you define in your reports opinion vs adopted state and local code requirements.

I'm doing a kitchen gut and our disposal wall switch is by sink but now sink will be in island. We can probably still reach the switch with about a 120 right pivot reach.....
    (hands should never be in disposal , period)

Disposal and 5 amp range hood (large non cab Z-line no microwave) planned on same circuit with a 20 amp panel based AFCI/GFCI .
    Thx