Mitchell Meeks Guest

Default Documenting Construction Details

Has anyone done any documenting of construction details in progress? For example: take pictures of flashing at particular points prior it being covered with siding or roofing. Also maybe even for just general documenting for future reference.

Also does anyone do any destructive analysis? For example a leak that would require the removal of drywall to determine the source and the extent of the damage.

I realize that this is beyond the SOP for typical inspectors but I am looking at diversification possibilities. I know some already do general consulting and maybe even draw inspections for the banks.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Documenting Construction Details

Wednesday I have to do another pre-drywall inspection. These are always a PIA or just plain stupid but sometimes fun. It's always interesting to see how the Plumber cut the crap out of the truss or microlam. The amount of non-compliance tends to be kind of funny as well.
    Michael T. who posts on IN does a lot of water intrusion work for Condo associations that involves some drywall cutting.
    Diversifying your business can be good. While other HI's weren't doing so well during the bust, I was ok. I wasn't making a fortune but I was ok. If all I did was standard HI I'd probably jump out of a building at some point.
    The type of work you are talking about can be very good. I would say its a better long term strategy. I don't know about where you are but here there is a lot of demand. You might want to look on my website and click through the various tabs at the top for different types of inspection ideas.
    You'll need to put together a couple report format templates and agreements to cover different inspection types but that isn't too hard. Time versus fee will likely be an issue in the beginning since you'll probably spend more time on each inspection / report developing your system. Once you get a format and protocol established the time can work out well.
    You might also want to establish some guidelines. For instance, I won't sign off on anything unless the original approved permit and a set of stamped Plans are onsite. No stamped Plans, no sign off, no exception.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"