Default House with no electricity

I've got an inspection on a home with no electricity, meter removed. Has anyone had any experience with connecting a generator to do the electriacal inspection, if so, how did you do it and what size generator would I need. I'm thinking at least 3500 watt but not sure. Thanks

Member Benefits1

Default Re: House with no electricity

I would advise against using a generator. Too much to go wrong safety wise and good chance at blowing sensitive circuit boards such as on furnaces, transformers, motors.

State that electricity was off and that such and such could not be tested.

No way, no how. If you want to do the inspection, do it and exclude everything that needs power. You are setting yourself up for major liability.
    Maybe the system has issues, maybe it doesn't.
    Maybe your client will be fine, maybe the Seller won't be.
    Let's say the system has issues beyond just the power being OFF, a nasty Seller could turn around and blame you for it to cash in.
    Don't do it. If you are that desperate for work, stay home and work on your business model instead. You'll be better off.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Thanks everyone; warning heeded

It is not our problem that the utilities are off, but we need to deal with it and make everyone understand that if the power and water are not on for the inspection, it will be limited in scope. We have no business trying to energize the home with a generator or pumping air into the water line. If you are told that you need to do this, you need to walk away from the job.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Leigh Goodman Guest

I have had occasions where the sellers realtor would pay a small fee to have a meter installed for the inspection. I think the local utility charged $25.00. One time a realtor would not pay the fee which was fatal to my clients desire to purchase. Could have made thousands but would not spend 25

To the OP, no way would I connect a generator (covered already).

To the thread drift.... I have found that many times there is a large balance due, and the utility company will not turn on the power until the full balance is paid. Sometimes it is a minimal fee, but other times its not.