Dennis R Guest

Default What's this device

The pipe leading from the vacuum breaker valve on a gas fired water heater went into this device and back out. The wires coming out lead to the burner.
    I'm guessing that the burner shuts off if water is detected.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What's this device

That's a WAGS valve, Water & Gas shut off. Clever device, very smart to have installed.

Read more here:

WAGS

Richard Rushing Guest

Dom's got it... both water and gas shut-off if a leak is detected.

rr

Why would you have a vacuum breaker valve at a water heater?
    vacuum breaker valve
    I would imagine the cold water main line to the heater would be routed thru the valve and then to the heater inlet.
    If this was on the TPR valve it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Please help me out here, the site posted By Dom gives a good description but no installation instructions that I could find.
    Looks like a good product if installed properly.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

When a emergency drain pan cannot have a drain line routed to the exterior, the "WAGS" valve can be installed to shut down the water inlet to the tank. They should not be installed to the T&P as Jim said.

They are rather expensive but the damages they can prevent would pay for the installation. I had them installed on both of my attic water heaters only to try and prevent damages when they do leak. ALL water heaters eventually leak.

Once the sensor on the valve becomes wet though, it is my understanding the whole valve has to be replaced.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Please help me out here, the site posted By Dom gives a good description but no installation instructions that I could find.
    Looks like a good product if installed properly.

Install instructions are here:

Installation Diagrams

I noticed the instructions said "a vacuum breaker or expansion tank should be installed..."
    Expansion tank I understand, somebody tell me what purpose (other than to break the vaccum ) a vacuum breaker would serve in a water heater installation.
    Thanks, Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

From their site:

The Watts N36-M1 Vacuum Relief Valve permits air to enter and prevent vacuum conditions that could siphon the water from the system, resulting in collapse of a tank or water heater or equipment burn out.

The Watts N36-M1 Vacuum Relief Valve permits air to enter and prevent vacuum conditions that could siphon the water from the system, resulting in collapse of a tank or water heater or equipment burn out.
    I always thought air in a tank was a bad thing... now I know, allowing air into a tank keeps it from burning out
    I can see maybe the collapse of a tank in a high rise or some special situations, but this is a new one on me.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas