Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Location Where Plumbingt Vent Terminates

I saw this yesterday at a 20-25 year old house. The first pic shows the round metal vent cover which I wasn't sure of it's purpose until I was in the basement and saw a plumbing vent pipe running to it. It's location to the adjacent front window appears less than 3 feet. The vent is located right behind the red flowers you see in the middle of the 2nd pic.

Does it appear to be too close to the window? Unfortunately I neglected to measure the distance.

Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Location Where Plumbingt Vent Terminates

I see at least four full bricks & mortar joints to the outside corner (minimum 7-5/8" + 3/8" mortar joint x 4 = 24" minimum to O/S corner) and another minimum foot around the corner outside corner, and a goodly distance from the garage window, frankly don't understand the concern/question as the wall hosting the termination in quesiton is on a different plane, and is plainly exceeding 3'. What do you mean by 'plumbing vent pipe' and what is it serving? a dewatering system? connecting to sanitary? etc. More concerned about the downspout from the upper roof spilling to the lower one that this unknown terminal.

Whatever this 'terminal' is or isn't, it appears too close to (rock mulch?) grade level and furthermore below the average accumulated snowfall above same for your region.

Do you think it may be a cleanout instead of a vent?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I suppose it could be a cleanout but the vented cap says vent to me.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I think it's likely a cleanout pipe with the wrong cover on it.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I suppose it could be a cleanout but the vented cap says vent to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I think it's likely a cleanout pipe with the wrong cover on it.
    If it is indeed a cleanout, the vent stack must go up the wall into the attic then cross over to the back side of the roof. Which might be the case, but whatever it is, it needs a plumber to check it out and repair it.

I don't think I have ever seen a plumbing vent that didn't have enough elevation on it to prevent sewage from running out of it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    If it is indeed a cleanout, the vent stack must go up the wall into the attic then cross over to the back side of the roof.
    I do not know of a requirement to have a vent on a cleanout.
    I'm still thinking it's an extension for a cleanout with the wrong cover on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I do not know of a requirement to have a vent on a cleanout.
    I'm still thinking it's an extension for a cleanout with the wrong cover on it.
    I wasn't suggesting the cleanout needs a vent. The plumbing fixtures need a vent. There's nothing on this side of the roof, and there are plumbing pipes in the crawlspace in the front corner.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Are you sure that's plumbing related? Looks like a Central Vacuum System collar (with cap?), not a plumbing vent terminal. Better systems use Sch. 40 PVC for Cent. Vac piping, flow-thru cooling, and exhaust outdoors, esp. if in basement corner closet. Got a closeup pic and/or pic of what you 'saw' downstairs? If the cap is vented could be a suction relief valve relief terminal or an intake for make-up air.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 07-22-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post

I don't think I have ever seen a plumbing vent that didn't have enough elevation on it to prevent sewage from running out of it.
    Maybe it's a "Safety Vent". Put there so if the sewer backs up it will come out there first, before it comes out the first floor toilets. Probably gives you about 5 minutes to get excited before it backs out the 1st floor toilets .

If it is a horizontal DWV vent termination, what is the vent material? I mean, how is the vent stack joined to a metal vent cover? If you have a vent cover that is just screwed to the exterior cladding and no positive seal to the vent pipe itself you have the potential to leak sewer gases back into the home. Is this penetration well caulked with a resilient caulk?

In our area, vents are usually located in the yard where they can breathe but also offer access for plunging with a rubber disc on a 10ft pipe.

© PMA of Georgia 2010 referencing the 2006 IPC:

904.6 Extension through
    the wall.
    Vent terminals
    extending through the
    wall shall terminate a
    minimum of 10 feet
    (3048 mm) from the lot
    line and 10 feet (3048
    mm) above average
    ground level. Vent
    terminals shall not