RobertSmith Guest

Default Ceiling Fan 101 question

Last edited by RobertSmith; 12-20-2007 at 04:22 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ceiling Fan 101 question

That could be a cover plate as you suggested.
    It can also be called an escutcheon or a , by most manufacturers, a canopy.

In some instances, the canopy covers up a hook which has a "ball" type socket that rest inside the canopy. Like this:http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.as...=64&SKU=514632 This may be allowed by the manufacturer.

Here is another set of instructions for installing a fan:
    Installing a Ceiling Fan

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

As Eric said: Canopy.

Same for hanging type light fixtures.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I would call it an escutcheon.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Escutcheon

And escutcheon is used to go around pipes and the like to cover the open holes around the pipes.

A canopy is used to protect the junction box the ceiling fan or light fixture is wired to.

I managed two lighting fixture showrooms, and designed and built custom light fixtures and repaired most every type available, including wiring old gas chandeliers and making them wired ones with lights, for about 13 years, back about 35 years ago.

And, no, the old gas chandeliers I wired up were not UL listed, but back then, no one really cared. That was then, not now. Back then, we did a lot of things which were "not right", but that was even before GFCI protection came in, so no one cared, in fact, no one even thought about the stuff as being "not right".

You have 60 or so 5-10 foot diameter gas lite chandeliers you want wired up for electric lights? Yeah, I could do that. I developed a trick for getting a very small wire through those very small gas lite arms. Remember, gas did not need a very large passageway, not like wires to.

You have a 20 foot diameter crystal chandelier and you want ... yeah, I could do that.

You have a couple of discos and you want custom floor and ceiling lighting systems ... yeah, I could do that too.

Been there, done that, had fun doing it.

BUT ... it would NOT pass muster today. Now we know that the Plexiglas® gives off toxic fumes when it burns and you are not allowed to use that. Did not matter back then, not until there were a few fires and it was discovered that the people were not dying from the fire, but from the toxic gas from the plastics. (And, no, none of the ones I designed and installed every had a fire or any other problem either. But some did, and we all learned from those.)

If I made today some of the stuff I made back then, I'd have to be shot ... that would be the only punishment suitable for someone doing it today.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

I've always known them as a 'canopy'.

Rich

Tim Moreira Guest

OK Jerry, you got me again tonight.

Don't you have some more continuing ed to do???

http://www.farreys.com/ceiling_fans/fan_glossary.html

Ceiling Fan Glossary of Terms

Balancing Kit - A packet containing a plastic clip and lead weights used to balance a ceiling fan.

Blade(s) - The flat wooden things that move through the air and create air flow. Sometimes called paddles.

Blade Arm - The blade arm is the metal bracket that attaches the blade to the motor.

Blade Pitch - Blade pitch, measured in degrees, is the angle between the fan's blades and the horizon. Generally, the higher the pitch, the more air that is moved, if RPM's are the same.

Canopy - The decorative cover which encloses the mounting bracket.

CFM - Cubic Feet per Minute is a means to measure air flow. The higher the CFM figure, the more air the fan is moving.

Collar Cover - A decorative cover which hides the mounting hardware connecting the fan's downrod to the motor housing.

Damp Location - Fans and light fixtures designed for locations that are susceptible to weather extremes such as abnormally damp or humid conditions. For example, beach front homes, covered verandas, and patios. The outlet box and the fan must be completely covered, and NOT exposed or subjected to water spray or rain.

Downrod - The metal pipe that extends from the ceiling bracket to the top of the fan. Most fans come supplied with a downrod that's 3-5 inches long. Longer downrods are available for high ceilings.

Fitter - The metal part of a light kit which attaches to the fan and contains the light socket(s). Often sold separately from the glass shades.

Hub - See "Switch Housing"

Hugger - A fan style where the motor mounts directly to the ceiling. A hugger fan may be used on a lower ceiling.
    J
    unction Box - See "Outlet Box"

Light Kit - A light fixture that can be attached to the bottom of a fan.

Motor Housing - The decorative body of the fan which encloses the motor.

Mounting Bracket - The device that connects the fan to the ceiling.

Multi-Mount - A multi-mount fan may be hung without the downrod, giving the same effect as a hugger fan, but retaining the more common appearance of a traditional fan. It can also be used on high and sloped (up to 30 degree) ceilings.

Outlet Box - This is the metal box, mounted above the ceiling, where the fan's wires are attached to the house wiring. It is also the point where the fan is attached to the ceiling. Fans should always be hung from boxes that are marked "For Use With Ceiling Fans". Never use plastic boxes for a ceiling fan installation, unless they are marked "For Use With Ceiling Fans".

Paddles - See "Blades"

Remote Control - A remote control device works just like the remote control on your television. It allows you to operate your fan from a remote location without the need to run extra wiring from a wall switch to the fan.

Rotor - The part of the fan's motor that turns.

RPM - Revolutions Per Minute is the number of times per minute that the fan turns. High RPM's don't always mean a lot of air is being moved. Air flow is a combination of fan speed, blade pitch and other factors.

Sealed Bearings - Most modern ceiling fans use two sealed ball bearings (one on top of the motor, one on the bottom) which are permanently lubricated.

Sloped Ceiling Kit - An optional mounting system that allows a fan to be hung from ceilings with pitches above 30 degrees.

Stator - The part of the fan's motor that is stationary.

Switch Housing - The part of the fan, below the motor housing, where the switches are located.

Wall Control - An electrical device which replaces a wall switch and is used to control the fan. A light dimmer is NOT a ceiling fan wall control. A combination fan/light switch is available but requires the running of an additional wire from the switch to the fan.

Wet Location - Fans and light fixtures designed for locations that are susceptable to direct exposure to the elements. They have been subjected to a water spray test by UL (Underwriter's Laboratories). During the test, fans are subjected to water spray in the direction most likely to cause water to enter. When installing a Wet Location fan, the outlet box must be recessed and mounted to the 6" side of a 4" x 6" wooden beam. The outlet box has to be sealed such that no water enters it, and the canopy cannot overhang the beam on either side.