Robert Strain Guest

Default How to find a good stucco inspector?

Hello. I need to do a "level 2" stucco inspection on my home where they drill holds and take moisture readings. I live in Philadelphia PA.

Can I ask how I can find a good stucco inspector? Also what is a fair price for a good stucco inspection? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: How to find a good stucco inspector?

A good stucco inspection will copy a good EIFS inspection (search EIFS Protocal) and is based upon moisture content and resistance. Beware of any inspection that is based upon infrared (and/or only tests areas that are highlighted in infrared).

I think the best way to select an inspector, regardless of the type of inspector is to compare reports and decide who you think will provide you with more and more relevant information.

Prices are generally based on square footage and architecture / degree of difficulty.

Last edited by Steven Turetsky; 08-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Wayne Falcone Guest

Call Accurate Home Inspection Services,
    Invasive Stucco inspections, pricing based on the size of the house, age & type of stucco.
    Normal size house (2500 Sq, Ft.) Approx. $480.00, for 10 drilled penetrations.

Good luck,
    Wayne J. Falcone

It all depends upon how serious you are about obtaining information, how complete and reliable you want your information to be.

There is a reason for the Protocol, and there is a reason it makes no mention of IR or partial testing.

Anybody that tries to convince you of otherwise either does not know what they are talking about or is not being honest.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Robert Strain Guest

Thank you all for your feedback. I got a thorough stucco inspection and fortunately it appears from lots of moisture readings that the wood framing behind my stucco is very dry even with of the extremely wet summer we are having.

I am going to seal my stucco with clear elastomeric coating and re-caulk my windows on all four sides and hope for the best.

I called Scott at Accuracy Home Inspection Services. But he wanted to wait several weeks to come out (because of all the rain we are having), and he wanted to charge me a lot for a visual inspection (which I have done with the help of several other people several times) and a thermal imaging inspection in the evening. Only after that would he do the "level 2" moisture tests for additional charges. Also he wanted to charge me for ladder rental fees which seemed strange (shouldn't an inspector already have ladders?).

In any event I did some reading and many people on the internet say that thermal imaging does a very poor job of finding moisture behind stucco.

What do you guys think of thermal imaging as a tool to find moisture behind stucco? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strain View Post
    In any event I did some reading and many people on the internet say that thermal imaging does a very poor job of finding moisture behind stucco.

What do you guys think of thermal imaging as a tool to find moisture behind stucco? Thanks![/COLOR]
    IR is just a tool and not the end all answer many think it is. IMVHO anyone who advertise the use of a tool such as IR is attempting to impress others in hopes of gaing additional business by owing a device that they most likely have little indepth experience or formal training.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com