Dov Herman Guest

Default Termatrac - Termite Detection Tool - Anyone With Any Experiencce

I'm considering purchasing a Termatrac termite detection device Termite Inspections improved by Termatrac: Innovative Termite Detection Technologies , they are certainly costly so any advice from some folks who have either purchased one or have any experience using the system is appreciated.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Termatrac - Termite Detection Tool - Anyone With Any Experiencce

Look at this low cost termite inspection/ detection tool
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CHkQ8wIwAA

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Dov Herman Guest

Thanks for the yuk . I don't know about you but I truly thought this was a forum where home inspectors can share information and better their craft. Sorry to see it has deteriorated so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov Herman View Post
    Thanks for the yuk . I don't know about you but I truly thought this was a forum where home inspectors can share information and better their craft. Sorry to see it has deteriorated so much.
    I understand that not everyone appreciates sarcastic humor.
    Humor or not, my opinion is the same.
    Before I posted I read the information on the website.
    I am not convinced that this offers a substantial benefit for an inspector.
    Glitz and glamour do not necessarily make for a better mouse trap.
    In my opinion, a good flashlight, probe, and a good set of eyes (magnifying glass as needed) is better.
    But this is after all, just my opinion.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Dov Herman Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I have been inspecting for close to 20 years and have extensive experience checking for termites. When thermal imaging cameras came down in price I did careful research before deciding that an IR camera would be a useful tool for my business and I was correct. I have no experience with the Termatrack so I turned to this board to see if some other inspectors had some before I made a decision to purchase or not. Guess you didn't get a chance to use the termite detector ?

I don't perform WDO inspections, but the company I use for that service recently invested in this particular device. It has a steep learning curve, and seemingly adds a tremendous amount of extra time to the inspection process for the technician. It is not the same speed as using a moisture meter, for example.

Get an on-site demo or visit an inspector that uses one before jumping in.

Dom.

I dunno. They have it shown with a Pocket PC. Try to find one of those in good shape. I would want to make sure they had upgraded to some current hardware before I purchased one.

Also, it looks like you would have to be right on top of the critters before it found them. That means you would either have to scan every square inch of a home to be sure it was termite-free or you would have to already know they were there. If that's the case, what's the point, other than verification?

I am an old guy and I don't put a lot of stock into them fancy gadgets. I own a few of the basic, but like Rick, I tend to trust my brains and eyes more than I do the gadgets.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I dunno. They have it shown with a Pocket PC. Try to find one of those in good shape. I would want to make sure they had upgraded to some current hardware before I purchased one.
    Good point

Also, it looks like you would have to be right on top of the critters before it found them. That means you would either have to scan every square inch of a home to be sure it was termite-free or you would have to already know they were there. If that's the case, what's the point, other than verification?
    Exactly what I was thinking
    I'm thinking the point is... to sell the inspector a gadget he does not need, and only partly does what it was purchased for.

I am an old guy and I don't put a lot of stock into them fancy gadgets. I own a few of the basic, but like Rick, I tend to trust my brains and eyes more than I do the gadgets.
    Yes, me too.
    But not because I'm old.
    Because I am older, I've seen a lot of over promise but under-deliver.

Also, will it detect termite damage if there are no termites at that time? I don't think so.
    So if there are not live termites, but the house has termite damage you still need your old methods using a flashlight and pair of eyes.

Dov Herman Guest

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. The unit will also work with any smart phone running the android operating system. Adding allot of time to the inspection and the steep learning curve are certainly issues. From what I have learned the unit is best to determine if a colony is active since its kinda tough to spot unless you scan every inch. I'm sure it would have added some value to my inspection biz but not enough to justify the high cost and added time. I'm gonna pass on the purchase.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dov Herman View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses. The unit will also work with any smart phone running the android operating system. Adding allot of time to the inspection and the steep learning curve are certainly issues. From what I have learned the unit is best to determine if a colony is active since its kinda tough to spot unless you scan every inch. I'm sure it would have added some value to my inspection biz but not enough to justify the high cost and added time. I'm gonna pass on the purchase.
    Inside you are just scanning wet walls. They detect movement, Ah, movement of what? Is the question. I know a couple of folks that had them and I used them quite a bit. Unless I am mistaken due to changes over the years you cannot tell folks they have termite by just using the Termatrac. If you find them with it then you must use a scope to actually inspect those areas.

I have inspected behind them and yes, sometimes I did find active termites. I have also not found termites behind and inspector that used one on more than one occasion. More found than not but I would not want be the one to pay for a wall getting torn apart and repaired for nothing when someone decides to not only treat but check for over all damage.

Here is the InterNACHI discount Special offer for InterNACHI Members

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

I dunno. They have it shown with a Pocket PC. Try to find one of those in good shape. I would want to make sure they had upgraded to some current hardware before I purchased one. ....
    Looks like they provide a dedicated PDA (Their Label) with the kit.

Just another thought.... maybe the termites "Down Under" are a little bigger there than here in the states.... Easier to detect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    Looks like they provide a dedicated PDA (Their Label) with the kit.

Just another thought.... maybe the termites "Down Under" are a little bigger there than here in the states.... Easier to detect.
    Aussie termies can build mud huts 20 feet high. Better believe they are biggah.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca