Default New Moisture Meter

My moisture meter stopped working last week, so it's time for a new one. I know that most of you are going to recommend the Protimeter, but that's the one that quit. And, to be honest, I never liked it from the start. Maybe I got a bad model, or not, but I'm not buying another one this time around. The dual mode was nice, though. I'm debating another dual mode model, or just two different meters. One for pin mode and one for dual mode.

Other than the Protimeter, what do you guys like to use that you would recommend?

OREP Insurance
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: New Moisture Meter

I use the Ryobi from home depot, works great! 55 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post

Other than the Protimeter, what do you guys like to use that you would recommend?
    Tramex Moisture Encounter Plus - YouTube

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

The Tramex ME is a great meter but it has its limitations... I use the Tramex for drywall and some flooring. I also use the Protimeter SM but mostly on tile and wood flooring.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I bought an Extech moisture meter. It works fine for me. Has non-contact and pins. None of those dual units are cheap. Have not had it for very long, so I don't know how well it will last. Extech is now owned by Flir.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Sonin Moisture Meter.jpgSonin Moisture Meter - Best $35 I ever spent - Accurrate & Reliable, also shows up in Inspection photos well.

The Moisture Encounter has been my meter of choice - have had my current one for about ten years.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

My moisture meter stopped working last week, so it's time for a new one. I know that most of you are going to recommend the Protimeter, but that's the one that quit. And, to be honest, I never liked it from the start. Maybe I got a bad model, or not, but I'm not buying another one this time around. The dual mode was nice, though. I'm debating another dual mode model, or just two different meters. One for pin mode and one for dual mode.

I bought the General Tools MMD950, and it is awesome. Can find moisture up to four inches away. If you place your hand within three inches of the wand it starts to sense moisture! Has lighted display, audio, visual lighted bar, easy hold functionality, can hold sensor any direction, which is so much better than Protimeter (was my main device before, now gathers dust), which needed to be held tilted and in contact with two points on the device.

Additional information in the General Tools device. It can be used as an excellent stud finder on drywall, since wood retains moisture better than gypsum. You can find wet studs when the rise at studs is greater than normal, so if the base plate is getting wet, don't have to actually find the wet base plate. I am still learning how to effectively use this device.

I did end up buying an Extech moisture meter. I like it so far, although I wish it was back lit. It's hard to read in the crawl, and I have to put the flashlight on it to get the reading. It does seem to work very well.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Gerard,
    Does that MMD950 have sensitivity adjustments if you dont want to detect 4" away or how do you deal with that? How is it holding up? Looks like a nice unit.