Default Water Heater drain lines. Would you call this out?

Take a look at the TPR and pan drain lines on these water heaters in a new construction home. It appears to be they are positioned in a way that make them candidates for contact with an opening car door, or generally just exposed in the garage in a manner that sooner or later, something will come in contact with them. Seems the are positioned in a way to make them more likely to eventually be damaged. Would you call this out? Comments please.

Thanks

Gene

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Water Heater drain lines. Would you call this out?

If the pipes can be damaged by a car, they require protection such as a bollard.

I don't see a visible air gap on the TPR discharges. Must be in a conspicuous place where the building owners would see it. Where do those TPR discharges terminate and are they manifolded or separate?

Looks like PVC on the TPR discharges, which is not an approved material.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    If the pipes can be damaged by a car, they require protection such as a bollard.

I don't see a visible air gap on the TPR discharges. Must be in a conspicuous place where the building owners would see it. Where do those TPR discharges terminate and are they manifolded or separate?

They discharge on the outside near the patio and are not manifolded. They terminate correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post

The lines are CPVC, which is approved.

Ted Menelly Guest

Those drain lines do look a bit white-ish. CPVC at the least for the TPR discharge lines.

As far as draining to a conspicuous place like a drain and air gap? Let me know the first one you see in DFW that is not a condo or Town Home or such. I have not seen one in a single home to date around here even all the new homes. Well. In many of the older homes with the water heater and HVAC in a closet.

As far as protecting the pipes being in the book? It does not matter. Even good building practices would depict those pan drain lines be protected. First time someone pulls up slightly to far they are gone for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    The lines are CPVC, which is approved.
    I hope no one in Illinois takes that to heart - T/P valve extensions are required to be metal pipe around here.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

That has to to be the worst "new" plumbing that I have ever seen. Love the 45 degree run.

Forgot to add... it needs a bollard.

Last edited by Rich Goeken; 08-17-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Around here TP and pan can terminate to the garage floor.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Around here TP and pan can terminate to the garage floor.
    Same here. The only time there is water in the pan is when there is a leak or a malfunction.
    The garage floor always slopes to the door here, no ice concerns. Out on the prairie, the floor has a drain

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca