Chris Skoczylas Guest

Default Plugged In Double Wide Manufactured Home

I inspected a 1984 double wide manufactured home today that had a 50 amp service and was pluged into an outlet on a pole in the yard. This is the first time I have seen a home plugged in. How do you guys report something like this.

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Plugged In Double Wide Manufactured Home

50 amp or less is acceptable to plug in. Over 50 amp requires hard wire. At least, that is in CA.

I recommend providing protection for the cord and that it be supported off ground under the home.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

As long as the trailer* has gas appliances, 50A service is fine, always had seen cord & plug connected ones in '60's models.

*A trailer by any other name is still a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    As long as the trailer* has gas appliances, 50A service is fine, always had seen cord & plug connected ones in '60's models.

*A trailer by any other name is still a trailer.
    ........you may refer to the home as a trailer, however IF you would care to be correct in your terminology, and therefore at least mask your ignorance, you would use manufactured home or mobile home as a descriptor.............Greg

2011 NEC
    Mobile and Manufactured Homes
    550.10 Power Supply

(A) Feeder. The power supply to the mobile home shall be a feeder assembly consisting of not more than one listed 50-ampere mobile home power-supply cord or a permanently installed feeder.

If it has gas or lil-fired central heating or cooking it can be 40 amp supply cord.

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Chris Skoczylas Guest

Thanks guys. I just finished the report. I suggested that the installed power cable under the home be supported off the ground under the home and that they should consider upgrading the homes electric service by installing a 100 amp breaker at the meter pedestal and in the branch circuit panel (125 amp rated) in the home and hard wiring it with the proper sized wiring.

Last edited by Chris Skoczylas; 08-09-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    ........you may refer to the home as a trailer, however IF you would care to be correct in your terminology, and therefore at least mask your ignorance, you would use manufactured home or mobile home as a descriptor.............Greg
    Actually, mobile home is prior to the mid 1970s (1976 I think) and manufactured was after. I believe it had to do with the adoption of the HUD codes.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Their still trailers, they still build the same old garbage in a nicer looking package, nothing more then disposable housing, defer some maintenance for a while & tell me how well they tolerate it, they do not do as well as a stick built. The only thing I give them credit for is they can be more affordable to own.

You can call them "manufactured homes", "factory built homes", "mobile homes", but a trailer by any other name is still a trailer, just like a "dried plum" is still a prune.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Actually, mobile home is prior to the mid 1970s (1976 I think) and manufactured was after. I believe it had to do with the adoption of the HUD codes.
    Before 1971 they are called trailers, 71-76 mobile homes, 76 and newer manufactured homes.
    Since 76 they are built to HUD specifications.
    It's common to see 50 amp power cords even in brand new manufactured homes.
    In the case of the example in the original question, the home may have come from the factory with a 50 amp rating. There should be a 50 amp main breaker in the coach panel and another 50 amp breaker at the power pole where connected all matching the 50 amp rated power cord.
    I would not have suggested increasing supply amperage if the home came from the factory rated for 50 amps.
    As for "same old garbage in a nicer looking package" Since 1976 these homes are generally well built. It's the same with anything, if you delay maintenance it's likely to look like garbage. I see them in all conditions. Newer ones looking shabby, old ones freshly remodeled and well maintained. The afore mentioned blanket statement holds no value.

Greg Filian
    http://www.MobileHomeInspectors.com
    714 612-3564

PC has spoken!!! Communication, at it's best is a hazardous process.

Did you know what he meant? That is what counts! Does it REALLY make THAT much of a difference? Not a big deal. However, I don't think you would get along too well with contractors on a job site---if you started to correct what they said (there ARE different names for things, BTW).

You just understand, not be judgmental, and flow with the tide.

You know your a redneck if you try and gussy up your trailer by calling it a manufactured home.....................git er doneeeeee

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Goeken View Post
    PC has spoken!!! Communication, at it's best is a hazardous process.

Did you know what he meant? That is what counts! Does it REALLY make THAT much of a difference? Not a big deal. However, I don't think you would get along too well with contractors on a job site---if you started to correct what they said (there ARE different names for things, BTW).

You just understand, not be judgmental, and flow with the tide.
    ...........we are not speaking with the general public (or contractors) here - this is a forum of professionals and we all should be held to a higher standard of correctness when we speak of aspects of our own trade. If you're going to involve yourself in a discussion regarding the manufactured housing industry, then you ought to learn proper terminology - it has nothing to do with being PC...........Greg