Question Question about web links

I'm re-doing my web site (WAY, WAY overdue!!!!) and thought about adding a link to my church website.

Just wondered what others thought of that idea.
    Some info:
    I have a Methodist logo on the back window of my truck - so I'm open about where I worship. But, unless you were Methodist, you might not think much about it, or notice.
    I do live in the Bible belt, though most people in my area are Baptist.
    I am NOT a zealot, but also don't hide my faith. Meaning, I don't put scripture in my reports, but may talk about my church during conversation at the inspection (same as asking what kind of work, how many kids, etc).

I am interested in how others would view this, or if any of you do the same thing.
    Thanks
    JF

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Question about web links

I don't see anything wrong with it.

What I don't like is when folks start plastering religious emblems or passages on their website. It looks like they are saying "Hey I'm a Christian so I'm an honest person".

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

What I don't like is when folks start plastering religious emblems or passages on their website. It looks like they are saying "Hey I'm a Christian so I'm an honest person".

Worse, in my opinion, is that usning it in advertising implies that persons who are not Christian are less than honest.

But in terms of your discussions, do what you're comfortable with.

Tim Moreira Guest

IMHO, I would say that it is OK as long as it is done with the understanding that not everyone shares the same views as you. Most people will (if sane) at least respect your faith/religion whatever it may be as long as you don't try and push it on them.

Nothing more I hate (not suggesting in any way that you do this) then to have someone preach to me and tell me how wonderful there ***** (enter religion) is. I can respect their ***** (enter religion) but please don't push it on me.

With all due respect.

Kevin Luce Guest

The question that come to my mind is why do you want to put the link on your website? I go to church, talk to God (when conversing it's between him and I because I feel it's a personal thing), the work I do as a home inspector is between my client and myself with God watching over us. I am very proud of the church and the people in that church (even though it is a small church we hope our actions speak louder than our words).

I personally don't understand why somebody wants to put a link like that on their business website. I would suggest that you ask yourself the real reason and is that reason true to what God really wants from us.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 04-07-2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Eliminated the word "Since" at the beginning of the second paragraph

Bob White Guest

I need to be very careful here. This subject brings about the worst in us sometimes.

I am a follower of Jesus and I have two links to Christian business search organizations on my home page.

I also have a "Statement of Faith" on my site. I never planned to put it there, but one of the sites I link to required that I openly state my belief to maintain the link.

I was leery of the requirement at first, but I am comfortable with it now. I meet more people through the business than through any other part of my life. I may lose more business than I gain from the Christian links and witness, (about 25% of my customers like my witness and mention it when they hire me, and another quarter like the aggressive tone of the main page) but I have to remember my priorities.

I am a follower first, a husband and father next, an elder in my local church after that, and then somewhere down the line is what I do to make a living. One of my purposes in this life is to let that be known in my actions and words.

My advice for you? Do what is in your heart.

Kevin,
    One of the reasons I thought of is to let people that are moving into the area know about my church and some of the great programs we have. When I moved to TN I spent over a year searching for a church. I wish I would have had some info to check into.

Some of the questions I get, and the conversations I enter into with my clients during the inspection are: a) Where can I get "............" food around here?, b) Are there any organic markets around?, c) Can you recommend a plumber, electrician, someone to build a deck, etc?, d) Where is a good bank?, e) Where do you attend church?, among many other topics.

If you knew me, you would know that I am not a pushy guy, nor a bible thumping zealot. I used to have a link for a barbeque place in Oswego, NY that was owned by my wife's cousin. It was there just for fun.

I thought of offering the link to provide information, so that, if interested, someone might find a church to attend. After all, I think we were called to be "fisher's of men". I wasn't planning on having the link say something like "This way to salvation!!" Just a link in with a many others I have - that's all.

Thanks for your opinion.
    JF

Smile Re: Question about web links

Jack:
    Bad idea. If you put a link to a page of everything a new person should know in your area, speed traps, best burger, local gin mill, area churches, (not just yours) etc. it would be helpful. Espousing ones religion turns off many.

John,
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Jack

Jack,

I have always tried to keep business and religion separate.

In the business world, there are too many faiths out there and the worse thing is someone is spouting off your not fair to them because of their belief.

I think one can walk in the light without having a "posted link" to it.

JMHO