Condo Bondo Guest

Default Flat roof in concrete building leaking?

I'm looking at a concrete townhouse in a large complex that also has apartment towers. The townhouses have flat roofs that are waterproofed with cold applied membrane in a protected membrane assembly and covered with rocks.

The problem: The building is about 6 years old and many of the townhouses (including the one I am looking at,) already have issues with water staining on the ceilings.

They say it will all be repaired under warranty.

The question is:
    Is this a a result of a few one-off problems with the initial construction that can be properly fixed?
    or
    Is this indicative of a poor quality building and a lifetime of chasing leaks? (which from now on, won't be covered by warranty.)

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Flat roof in concrete building leaking?

Sounds ominous. Yet another leaking condo issue which is a big problem in BC, as indicated in news coverage over the years.

I've dealt with this a bit in the past. Yes it probably is some sort of poor installation from the start. However, from my experience this type of thing ends up being a worse long term problem because people don't see the obvious or take time to actually thing about the problem.
    'Roof leaks, lets send guy out with small bucket of tar to seal anything that looks iffy.'
    It's usually not the 'Roof' thats leaking. From my experience its usually the stack vent, freon lineset openings, roof drains or other penetrations that leak. If the roof has area drainage, i.e. a Zurn type roof drain, thing that looks like a big floor drain, then that's often the culprit.
    Slapping tar or silicone on seams has a limited lifespan. This includes sending a guy up to 'do a repair'.
    Consider getting a roofer who knows installations to assess penetrations. Don't bother with the guy who says he can fix the leaks.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Condo Bondo View Post

The question is:
    Is this a a result of a few one-off problems with the initial construction that can be properly fixed?

Yes, but can it be fixed? Should be but who knows.

Is this indicative of a poor quality building and a lifetime of chasing leaks? (which from now on, won't be covered by warranty.)

Not necessarily poor condstruction; A life time of chasing leaks? nobody can tell. repair as required anytime.

This is totally different scenario from BC leaky Condos

Last edited by Peter Louis; 09-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.