DavidSmith Guest

Default gas meter tap off

would you agree that this tap off is wrong, and copper not allowable?

thanks,

David

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: gas meter tap off

Yes, the valve and tap location is wrong. But, the copper line is/was allowed in many areas.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Yes, the valve and tap location is wrong. But, the copper line is/was allowed in many areas.
    Why is it wrong?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Why is it wrong?
    Looks like a compression fitting?

Unprotected copper?

I'm pretty sure that the valve is not listed in the gas codes as an approved fitting.

I did blow the photo up and it might be a type of gas valve...

Maybe Bob Harper will chime in...

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 08-20-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSmith View Post
    would you agree that this tap off is wrong, and copper not allowable?

thanks,

David
    Looks as if they drilled & tapped the street ell. I have not seen a ell drilled & tapped from the factory, could be an issue but it is on the low pressure side of the regulator. NG companies in my area won't allow copper tube. Like Scott I don't think the valve is approved for this service & location.
    Black pipe looks as if it isn't sleeved, I don't see a ground clamp & wire, maybe it's just outside frame?

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

DavidSmith Guest

thanks everyone...sounds like a bad tap-off like I thought.

no ground clamp here at the meter, only on the water pipe at a hose bib.

All the above. The big nut on the right side of the meter is the "point of delivery" where the federal CFR ends and your local gas codes pick up.

I'm not aware of any such fitting approved by the gas codes as it would tend to weaken the ell, which is part of a swing joint.

Not aware of that valve being a listed gas cock approved

Cannot use compression joints on "gas piping". They are allowed within the appliance since the appliance listing picks them up. Must be downstream of gas combination valve such as a safety pilot.

Copper tubing is allowed if the local supplier confirms less than 0.3 grains H2S per 100 cu. ft.

If aluminum tubing not allowed except inside appliance cabinet as part of listed appliance.

Sleeve and paint pipe entering bldg.

Improper bend radius on tubing off that compression fitting. It will leak or break easily

electrical bonding

How far above grade is the vent on the MP regulator coming into the meter or is there one? How is meter supported/ braced?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

DavidSmith Guest

Bob, you mention electical bonding on the gas meter....if one installed on the water pipe, we still need one on the gas meter?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSmith View Post
    Bob, you mention electical bonding on the gas meter....if one installed on the water pipe, we still need one on the gas meter?
    The gas piping above ground at the meter may be bonded there or inside the building IF it is likely to become energized. Some AHJs want to see a bonding wire from the downstream piping just out of the meter to the EGC regardless of risk, some allow it inside and some don't care.

Gas piping cannot be used as an intentional electrical conductor but must be bonded if there's a chance of this happening.

2009 IRC E3609.7 and G2410.1 and G2411.1
    CSST has its own special bonding requirements regardless of likelihood getting energized.
    HTH

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

DavidSmith,

Bonding of the gas might not have been required at time of original construction. I typically recommend upgrading the bonding to include hot, cold and gas piping. Areas with lightening strikes often require bonding of all metal, such as gutters/downspouts, ducting, etc. When bonding upgrades have been made, they are often between hot, cold and gas at the water heater.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/