Default No two electricians interpret NEC codes the same! The more I know the less I know....

I have in front of me the 2010 California Electrical Code Book. I am a certified Journeyman in California. I have been studying as much as I can on the topic of Bonding and Grounding. I would like some feed back regarding Grounding Electrodes and Grounding Conductors. I swear I have almost never gotten the same answer from any electrician regarding this subject.

250.66 A Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes - end of paragraph says-

that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode SHALL NOT be required to be larger than 6 awg copper wire.

And! if you go to 250.53 E- Supplemental Bonding Electrode Size.

end of paragraph- SHALL NOT be required to be larger than 6 awg copper wire.

So what this says to me is, contrary to what I heard from numerous electricians with 10 to 15 years more experience than me, is, first off you can run more than one grounding electrode conductor back to a main panel. Why? Because if you have a 200 a service you have to ground it to the cold water pipe with #4. Right? And if you are required to add a supplemental ground then how could it be continuous or unbroken if it can be a 6?

250.64, F 2- Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation

Grounding electrode conductors SHALL be permitted to be run to one or more grounding electrodes INDIVIDUALLY.

250.64 C 2- CONTINUOUS- sections of busbars SHALL be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor.

Last edited by Allister Sorrells; 04-22-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: public on internet
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: No two electricians interpret NEC codes the same! The more I know the less I know

Seems no two code inspectors can interpret the same either.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: No two electricians interpret NEC codes the same! The more I know the less I know

Quote Originally Posted by Allister Sorrells View Post
    Okay, I have in front of me the 2010 California Electrical Code Book. I am a certified Journeyman in California. I have been studying as much as I can on the topic of Bonding and Grounding.

My experience has been that when you start out learning or be trained, on the job, or working for someone. You get told what to do and not really told why or how. Because the person you are working for is either too busy trying to get the job done, or doesn't really want you to learn or excel. Maybe because they have personal issues or they are afraid you might take their job or want to be paid more money.

I can honestly say that for the first four or five years I worked for an electrical contractor there were times I took it very seriously but I was inconsistent and could have paid more attention. If I had, I probably would have learned a lot more and been further along than I am now.

Today I give it all I can and am 100 percent devoted to being the best possible electrician I can be.

Now that I got that off my chest, I would like some feed back regarding Grounding Electrodes and Grounding Conductors. I swear I have almost never gotten the same answer from any electrician regarding this subject.

250.66 A Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes - end of paragraph says-

that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode SHALL NOT be required to be larger than 6 awg copper wire.

And! if you go to 250.53 E- Supplemental Bonding Electrode Size.

end of paragraph- SHALL NOT be required to be larger than 6 awg copper wire.

So what this says to me is, contrary to what I heard from numerous electricians with 10 to 15 years more experience than me, is, first off you can run more than one grounding electrode conductor back to a main panel. Why? Because if you have a 200 a service you have to ground it to the cold water pipe with #4. Right? And if you are required to add a supplemental ground then how could it be continuous or unbroken if it can be a 6?

250.64, F 2- Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation

Grounding electrode conductors SHALL be permitted to be run to one or more grounding electrodes INDIVIDUALLY.

Hmm? And?

250.64 C 2- CONTINUOUS- sections of busbars SHALL be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor.

Anyhow. Like I said. The more I know the less I know. I have a strong desire to know and be clear about what it is I do. And sometimes we just do what we are told to do by Inspectors , Bosses or Co-Workers. I know that I have never failed an inspection and seldom do I have to go back and fix something I have failed to do right. But I still am not totally clear on this subject.

I would appreciate any responses to my post.

Thank You
    Yes--you can run individual grounding electrode conductors from individual grounding electrodes back to the service equipment. Sometimes you will mount a buss bar on the wall to bring all the individual GECs to then only one back to the service equipment. It would be possible to have more then one buss bar depending on the size of the job(say a multi unit apt building). I have worked in CA and found out that if the Ground connections are detailed on the approved plans, you should not vary from the plans because the guy inspecting it does not know anything else is possible.

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee