Default No HVAC supply ducts in family room of new home. See photos

These photos were taken from the open kitchen. There is no wall separating the kitchen from the family room or from the back walkway. The kitchen has two supply registers and in the far left of one photo you can see an open walkway has one ceiling supply registers, but the actual family room has none. What do you think of this not having an actual duct in the family room? It is a fairly open house.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: No HVAC supply ducts in family room of new home. See photos

Gene, kind of hard to tell the overall design but here are a few thoughts that are worth about what you paid for them.
    It does not really matter where the registers are located but the effective "throw". Some rooms may not even need a register depending on where the return(s) are located.
    That said, your house looks a little sketchy for comfort, especially along the wall to the left of the fireplace, looks like a dead zone.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Hi Jim, thanks and I agree. Actually that room is even larger than it appears in the photos. It sure appeared like it could use at least one supply register. I have seen houses that had a supply duct accidentally left out and I am sure you have also. I am going to punt this one back to the builder.

Thanks

Gene

Since it looks like new construction,
    - look at the plans to see what the plans show
    - or note in your report that approved Plans with visible stamps should be reviewed for contract and Code compliance
    - or ask for a Manual J&D load calc for the house

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

What type of fireplace or accessory is that?Sure is a pi$$-poor placement/location for a ceiling fan! Unlikely original designed location due to proximity to hearth shelf and walls and corners, more likely HO DIY project(s) or post-build change(s) have created the conflict. Chicken-or-the-egg question: which came first - the corner fireplace/appliance/accessory and/or the ceiling fan placement, if fireplace was change - location placement might be the investigatory 'first clue' as to original register location. Possibility the purpose/designation of living spaces has been repurposed (e.g., 'family room' swapped for original 'dining area' (noticed multiple wide archways)? From the apparent relationship and placement of the recessed fixtures esp. that nearest the fireplace (appearing off-center, etc.), as well as the (DIY-ish selection of material/finish): I'd guess the location & presence of the corner fireplace in the room, more likely to be a more recent alteration, after the planning & placement of the recessed lights & the (offset towards the center of the home and away from the pathway to the secondary egress door (traffic pattern) for the now-too-close-to-the corner fireplace-ceiling fan/light fixture.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 08-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Darrel Hood Guest

If this is a final inspection on new construction, I would note the absence and during my attic inspection, I would look for a register in the attic that was not installed at the time of drywall installation. I find this condition frequently.

Darrell. There was a room above this imp living room so there was not attic above it.

HP. that accessory in your circle is an eyeball type recessed light to illuminate the fireplace mantel.

I once inspected a house with a corner fireplace and when I looked up the flue, I saw the drywall of the ceiling above.
    I agree, the ceiling fan is poorly placed.

Darrel Hood Guest

[QUOTE=Gene South;231219]Darrell. There was a room above this imp living room so there was not attic above it.

In that case, the best I could do would be to run the AC for a while and then use my infrared thermometer to see if there was a cold area on the ceiling. It's clearly not a certain test, but it is a best effort.

[QUOTE=Darrel Hood;231234]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Darrell. There was a room above this imp living room so there was not attic above it.

In that case, the best I could do would be to run the AC for a while and then use my infrared thermometer to see if there was a cold area on the ceiling. It's clearly not a certain test, but it is a best effort.
    Hi Darrell, that is a good test that you mention and one I have used myself in the past. I tried that and detected no temp difference anywhere on the ceiling.

BTW, some have mentioned the location of the ceiling fan. The photo is mis-leading. The ceiling fan is actually in the direct center of that room, though the photo makes it appear as if the fan is near the fireplace. The photo was taken from another room at a distance and it looks like the room is smaller and the fan is rammed into a corner but that is not the case. This is just a case of a illusionary photo.

Darrel Hood Guest

Gene,
    In my area, getting a copy of the Manual J, D etc. would be nearly/if not impossible. I would see if the room felt like it cooled reasonably similar to the other rooms (the TRCC standard was 3 degrees) and comment appropriately. Gig'em '73

Gig'em

- - - Updated - - -

Gig'em