Default Dragon Naturally Speaking

Well I finally broke down and bought Dragon Naturally Speaking for my new computer hoping it will save time writing reports. So far it looks like it is going to be a tremendous learning curve and it may get worse before it gets better, but I have high hopes for the future.

This is my first attempt at using the program and it seems pretty good.

If anybody has any pointers I would appreciate them.

Inspection Referral
    Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Default Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking

I use it on some reports. The more you use it the better it gets for the most part. I can get frustrated with it when talking about wood and it puts would. I added many words through spell it and then have it learn my pronunciation. Keep at it as it makes longer narratives easier. I do use it on thermal reports and save considerable time.

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    Well I finally broke down and bought Dragon Naturally Speaking for my new computer hoping it will save time writing reports. So far it looks like it is going to be a tremendous learning curve and it may get worse before it gets better, but I have high hopes for the future.

This is my first attempt at using the program and it seems pretty good.

If anybody has any pointers I would appreciate them.
    I used to use it with a digital recorder so I could dictate structural reports while driving. It worked pretty well, but I have trouble organizing my thoughts without seeing what I am writing. I would end up doing quite a bit of editing.

I have, have used it but don't use it as much as I probably should.
    Problem is I can think and type faster while at my desk if the stereo is cranked way up.
    Thinking of plugging it into my laptop to talk while driving away from an inspection, seems like that could cause bigger issues though.
    From my experience once it learns your voice and verbiage it seems to work pretty well. Some of you with those weird accents might have problems though.
    Another inspector I know uses it religiously for all reports. Then again he likes to work in quiet at his kitchen counter.
    I would suggest determining how it is that you work most productive and see if Dragon will work for you in those ways.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I have, have used it but don't use it as much as I probably should.
    Problem is I can think and type faster while at my desk if the stereo is cranked way up.
    Thinking of plugging it into my laptop to talk while driving away from an inspection, seems like that could cause bigger issues though.
    From my experience once it learns your voice and verbiage it seems to work pretty well. Some of you with those weird accents might have problems though.
    Another inspector I know uses it religiously for all reports. Then again he likes to work in quiet at his kitchen counter.
    I would suggest determining how it is that you work most productive and see if Dragon will work for you in those ways.
    I don't seem to be having a problem listening to music while I'm using Dragon, the only problem that when a good song comes on I start singing without even realizing it and and Willie Nelson's lyrics keep popping up in the report.

Actually I'm quite amazed how well it works, but I see it's going to be a lot of work and effort, and take time to become fluent It is like learning another language and and it's quite apparent that it's going to get a lot slower before it gets faster.
    The outlets at the kitchen countertop are not GFI protected. I recommend that Mama don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys they be replaced. Close dictation box

I like it, It allows me to use the exact verbage in my report that I use at the inspection.

I'm starting to like it more and more, and am finding more ways to use it. Even though I'm getting better, there are times it takes me longer than if I keyboard it. So I do both and find myself improving.

I am better at filling in text boxes than I am at web surfing and computer commands, but absolutely love it for repetitive work that involves going from the mouse to the keyboard. In my average report, I probably have 300-400 repetitives.

It's like having a third hand.

I have had it for years now.
    Once in a while in the mood I use it but after all these years my template canned comments make more sense than a rambling narration.
    As above it can be finicky and you might miss an edit plus hard when eating,watching tv,listening to music,etc.

With mobile software you can just use the regular voice recognition apps and it seems to do just as well as a desktop version like DNS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    I have had it for years now.
    Once in a while in the mood I use it but after all these years my template canned comments make more sense than a rambling narration.
    As above it can be finicky and you might miss an edit plus hard when eating,watching tv,listening to music,etc.

With mobile software you can just use the regular voice recognition apps and it seems to do just as well as a desktop version like DNS.
    Hey Bob,

How's Chi-town?

I don't use it all the time, but as I improve I'm sure I will use it more... maybe.
    While I also use boiler plates, I always have to tweak them, quite a bit is original, and quite a bit is repetitive.

I have no problem listening to music especially since it comes through the headphones, and if there's somebody in the background talking or the television, it does not pick it up.

It does get a little confusing sometimes if I forget it's turned on and I get into a conversation.

Anyway is right now I'm sitting with my arms folded leaning against my desk after a hard days work building docks.