Default That Big You Tube Ad

Brian,

WTfudge is that big ole You Tube ad doing at the end of every thread?

It is distracting as heck.

Can we dump it or at least down size it somewhat?

rick

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: That Big You Tube Ad

Yeah, but if it helps Brian pay the bills and keep this going ...

... but at what point does it become too much? I guess that point is when usership drops due to the ads, just do not know when that is, it just happens at some point, then the ads are not getting the user view they expected and the entire thing turns into a downward spiral for all - users, owners, and sponsors - just hope Brian keeps his fingers on the controls so it never gets to that point.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brandon Chew Guest

I understand and agree with the "pay the bills" thing...

I feel like that big YouTube ad crosses the line into the annoying category. It is really big and it looks like it is part of someone's post. The first couple of times I saw it I was tricked into clicking on it -- until I recognized it for what it was; an ad. I find advertizing that tricks me to be a real turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Chew View Post

I feel like that big YouTube ad crosses the line into the annoying category. It is really big and it looks like it is part of someone's post. The first couple of times I saw it I was tricked into clicking on it -- until I recognized it for what it was; an ad. I find advertizing that tricks me to be a real turn off.
    I've tried to 'get used to it', but it is much larger than it needs to be ...

I also agree on the latter part of your post - that's a real turn off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thumbs up Re: That Big You Tube Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Brian,

WTfudge is that big ole You Tube ad doing at the end of every thread?
    It's not at the end of every thread. It's not even a new spot. It's just added in the rotation of the current site sponsors.

The video isn't an ad. I thought it would be a nice way to bring some multi-media to the site. I can bring in different inspection related clips that have been submitted to YouTube. Pretty cool if you ask me. If you click on the right or left arrow or the menu you can view different clips from that series. I can change it up from time to time as new inspection related videos come along.

Yes, there are ad overlays on it (the video is not an ad). No, no one is twisting your arm (or mouse finger) to view the videos or click on the ads. However, I hope you are enjoying this site and realize that it is here and it is free for you (and I don't mean you as in you, I mean you as in everyone who uses, learns, contributes and enjoys InspectionNews) because of the sponsors. If I send you a finger splint and some aspirin can you find it in your heart to click? Food & beer are running short and I don't think finding something of interest in one ad per day from everyone is to much to ask

It is distracting as heck.
    Do not drive around Rick....... easily distracted

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Yeah, but if it helps Brian pay the bills and keep this going ...
    And this is a business, not a hobby. Have you all run your Cost Of Business lately? I know all of your expenses have gone up. Food, gas, electricity etc. Well, mine is no different and I am always looking for ways to maintain my current position in life and I'm trying to do it while providing you the best of the best when it come to Message Board technology and it's not costing you a thing. Again, finger splints and aspirin will be available upon request [/quote]

... but at what point does it become too much? I guess that point is when usership drops due to the ads, just do not know when that is, it just happens at some point, then the ads are not getting the user view they expected and the entire thing turns into a downward spiral for all - users, owners, and sponsors - just hope Brian keeps his fingers on the controls so it never gets to that point.
    I would hate to see that as well and will always stay on top of things to make sure that does not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Chew View Post
    Thank you.

I feel like that big YouTube ad crosses the line into the annoying category. It is really big and it looks like it is part of someone's post. The first couple of times I saw it I was tricked into clicking on it -- until I recognized it for what it was; an ad. I find advertising that tricks me to be a real turn off.
    Sorry if you feel you were tricked into it. As stated above, the videos are not ads, they inspection related videos and are there for your enjoyment and education. The ad overlays do not have to be clicked on and in fact there is an "x" to close the ads.

The position is not new either. After the first and last post in a thread (and once after the 25 post if a thread goes that long) is the location where site sponsors always come up and your opportunity to give a little something back to a site that you frequent, learn from and enjoy. Like I said, this is a business and InspectionNews cost you nothing to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I've tried to 'get used to it', but it is much larger than it needs to be ...

I also agree on the latter part of your post - that's a real turn off.
    I agree, the size is large but that was my smallest option.

Thank you all for you input and opinions. I have removed the YouTube videos from the rotation for now.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Well, Dang. Now I can't see what the fuss was about. Oh well, keep paying the bills Brian. I'll get used to it when you put it back.

Just another thing to get used to. Whoopee!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Hi Erby,

I did find out that I had a smaller option for the player than the one I was using so I have put it back in the rotation.

It will be just by chance for it to come up on a thread you are reading or you have go to the home page and see it there.

http://www.inspectionnews.net

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Brandon Chew Guest

Brian, thank you for that explanation. The smaller size is better.

Didn't bother me at all. Must just be the old farts that had a problem with it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/