Thread: Lennox AC Age

Default Lennox AC Age

Just from looking at them, what would you guess to be the ages of these compressor units? They are Lennox and the data plates are not very legible. I think the serial number starts with HS9461 and then maybe a couple more numbers.

The house is 1974 but these do not look that old.022AC.JPG

OREP Insurance
    Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Default Re: Lennox AC Age

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    Just from looking at them, what would you guess to be the ages of these compressor units? They are Lennox and the data plates are not very legible. I think the serial number starts with HS9461 and then maybe a couple more numbers.

My SWAQ is 94.
    *beyond intended "Service Life."

manufacture or age of an LENNOX® furnace or other LENNOX® HVAC unit | Building Intelligence Center

HVAC -PRODUCTION DATE/AGE | Building Intelligence Center

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post

check your photos, or notes. Seems your eyes jumped (got multi-vision correction eyeglasses perhaps?)

HS is a model number ("model", "M/N" etc.) prefix for what you've photographed - High Side condensing unit (s). What follows the model letter prefix is a series number - Lennox hasn't exceeded a 40ish or 50ish series number yet - for an HS model the "9" wouldn't follow an "HS" or HSA. and a serial number would not begin with an HS.

Whether or not you misread an "A" following the HS as a 9, OR you then started writing the third digit from the left on the serial number (first two digits are the plant number) from the next line ("serial number" Ident, or "S/N")...or both your eyes dropped to the second line and you made typo then or here a typing a 9 from the third digit from the serial number line when a 0 was present...who knows. However IIRC 94 would have been lighter off-white..the cafe-latte pinky-dk. tan or taupe color and slightly less tall slightly higher SEER 02-04 ish.

five space prefix for serial numbers two digit plant two digist year Single letter (A-M less i for months Jan-Dec) followed by production serial number.

Post the two pictures of the labels - if you want help picking out the clues.

To DIY it, here's a basic de-coding guide (model and serial nomenclature) from Lennox for all their products (internationally, commercial, etc.) to get you started:

Attached from Lennox, you can direct D/L yourself at: http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/Lennox_Model_and_Serial_Nomenclature.pdf

As you'll see from the attached or directly D/L, there will be more clues on the plate for the condensor, such as the capacity format designation (changed regards to tonnage), refrigerant, and of course how Lennox is identified up at the top of the label.
    Electrical data and references regarding protection and how it is demarked and phrased will also "clue" as will refrigerant warning info and how that is phrased, regarding same as to clues to approx age (changes in law regarding same) i.e. preloaded charge, transport, release to atmosphere, servicing refrigerant requiring licensing, etc.

From the looks of things they seem to have been removed and reinstalled possibly relocated, the pavement seems quite a bit newer/fresher than the installation, and the orientation/placement does not appear original throughout its in-use life/exposures which appear to have been rather extreme for 7-13 years. They also seem to have lost their "feet" or "legs" sitting flat unelevated above the finished grade and unable to drain/flush out, therefore likely to accumulate debris and litter within to compost, retain moisture and rot out the interior, as well as no separation from frame to the caustic effects from the finish grade material and moisture to the coated steel.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 09-05-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot to attach promised lennox document.

Thanks, HG. Always an adventure. This is the best I got on the plate.
    029AC.JPG

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Mid to late '80's.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Yowza! That's a series 9! (HS9) , first minor revision (1 - following the 46), 46,000 Btuh (3-1/2 T). The oldest installation manual available on the Lennox site is for a series 10 (HS10) which is revised!

HS9-461-1P

You're right there is nothing left of the serial number on the plate (not label).

well, I guess the color I thought I was seeing is actually an aged lightened, oxidized (chalked) and rust enhanced 1971-1975-ish unit atop a much newer finished grade surface!!??!! is that rust on both fan guards?

That's worthy of checking behind the access plate, or checking another resource, perhaps a HVAC site, a guide book, prestons or other, or simply calling Lennox and asking when HS Series 9 was last produced, then check last production 52 plant. The memory banks aren't working regarding the thin style UL logo just that it too is older as thin circle and no enhanced marking for US nor C which puts several years at least on it, nor can I recall at the moment aging/history/styles for the CSA mark.

Here's a series 10 install man. HTH.

Attached Files Attached Files

Mike, Just in case you don't have this one HVAC -PRODUCTION DATE/AGE | Building Intelligence Center