Default Lateral installation of an air admittance valve

Hey everyone,

Is there any prohibition against the lateral installation of an aav when being used as an individual fixture vent? If so, please explain. See attached photo.

Thanks,

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

Default Re: Lateral installation of an air admittance valve

It looks like a Oatey 1 1/2" ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent.
    The valve shown is not allowed with typical plumbing codes.
    Typical use is in recreational vehicle and some mobile homes.

I do think that the installation instructions say to mount it vertically.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by George Hallaron View Post
    Hey everyone,Is there any prohibition against the lateral installation of an aav when being used as an individual fixture vent?
    Yes
    If so, please explain. See attached photo.Thanks,
    The plumbing code AND the manufacturer's instructions; e.g.: "AAV shall be installed in accordance with your local plumbing code and these installation instructions" "...shall be installed in a vertical, upright position.." "...the maximum offset from vertical shall not exceed 15 degrees..."

Hey everyone,

Is there any prohibition against the lateral installation of an aav when being used as an individual fixture vent? If so, please explain. See attached photo.

Thanks,
    Gary is correct. That is not an AAV and is not approved for this use (even if vertical). I have found a major homebuilder using these in new construction. After seeing it for the second time I contacted the building inspector and had to educate him about this. I even found one manufacturer advertising these as AAVs.

George,
    Take a look at

Search Results forĀ*plumbing ventsĀ*at The Home Depot

you can see several vents that you will encounter and their pricing. The Cheater valve performs the same basic function as an AAV but its application and code become the issue.

Price is the most common reason you see them. Also lack of code understanding. If you go to a big box store and ask which should be used, you will typically be misinformed by the sales staff.

Thanks fellas. What all of you have said falls in line with my train of thought. Sometimes you just need a little validation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post

George,
    Take a look at

Search Results for*plumbing vents*at The Home Depot

you can see several vents that you will encounter and their pricing. The Cheater valve performs the same basic function as an AAV but its application and code become the issue.

Price is the most common reason you see them. Also lack of code understanding. If you go to a big box store and ask which should be used, you will typically be misinformed by the sales staff.
    Gary,

This is "NEVER" a source of information for me. L.O.L. A lot of the time the big box store employees can't tell you what isle something is on much less how to install it, or if it falls within the current code. But in all seriousness, Thanks for the info.

George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

Thanks fellas. What all of you have said falls in line with my train of thought. Sometimes you just need a little validation.

Gary,

This is "NEVER" a source of information for me. L.O.L. A lot of the time the big box store employees can't tell you what isle something is on much less how to install it, or if it falls within the current code. But in all seriousness, Thanks for the info.
    Home Depot says on their website that they are approved for use in RVs. What they don't say that they are not approved for for anything else.

George,
    Point was that Big Box stores do not know/care to tell the customer which is correct to use and why. So, the cheap/wrong one is often chosen by customer.

Big box can be a source for show and tell. Also, grand source to find installation instructions for things you may not be familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    .............the maximum offset from vertical shall not exceed 15 degrees..."
    It does appear that the installer might have somewhat exceeded that!