Default Monitoring usage through circuits, "metering"

This is unrelated to inspections but given the smart brains around here I figured I run it by the crowd.

I'm looking at a way to meter usage through a circuit or two.... or three or four (the # isn't really important for now).

I poked around online and see the technology exists, complete with real time remote web access which would be ideal for my situation but everything seems to be on way too large of a scale for my needs. Basically, everything I find seems to be systems for entire buildings. I'm looking for something to monitor a couple circuits and be able to track usage broken down by the day.

Thanks for any ideas.

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Monitoring usage through circuits, "metering"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    This is unrelated to inspections but given the smart brains around here I figured I run it by the crowd.

I'm looking at a way to meter usage through a circuit or two.... or three or four (the # isn't really important for now).

I poked around online and see the technology exists, complete with real time remote web access which would be ideal for my situation but everything seems to be on way too large of a scale for my needs. Basically, everything I find seems to be systems for entire buildings. I'm looking for something to monitor a couple circuits and be able to track usage broken down by the day.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Do you need remote and/or web access?

Is cost a factor? All the data loggers are expensive.

Here is something simple that would require you to connect it to a computer to download the data. Supco LCV LOGiT AC Current and AC Voltage Data Logger

"Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. " Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Mike Kleisch; 09-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks guys.... remote/web access is not crucial but would be nice. Cost is somewhat of a factor.

The newegg product is interesting and more in line with what I was looking for but couldn't find.

Are these things allowed inside panels?

Here's a Youtube video showing how it works and it does go in the panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSnahqIz730

Looks like it has access over the internet, not sure if there is a separate unit or if software comes with it to retrieve information, or how it all works.

You might want to give the local utility a shot, I thought at one time in my area they would setup a device to show how much energy a single appliance used, part of their save energy program at one time, but it sounds like you want a whole circuit monitored.

Although I don't have a model or part number, there are plug -in point of use meters also. IIRC Black and Decker had one.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.