RobertSmith Guest

Default Plumbing configuration

Last edited by RobertSmith; 12-20-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    OREP Insurance

dick whitfield Guest

Default Re: Plumbing configuration

This looks like a permanent connection so I would go beyond a vacumn breaker to a double check valve like on an irrigation system.

Quote Originally Posted by dick whitfield View Post
    This looks like a permanent connection so I would go beyond a vacumn breaker to a double check valve like on an irrigation system.
    While I mostly agree with Dick that it needs more than a vacuum breaker (does not need a double check valve, just back flow prevention), the fact that it is connected 'off a hose bibb' and that 'hose bibbs' only require atmospheric type vacuum breakers, all it would 'need' would be a vacuum breaker.

That said, I would tell my client it is not supposed to be connected that way, and the best solution is to remove the hose bibb, tee off to the sprinkler system, re-install a hose bibb with a vacuum breaker, and, install a proper backflow preventer on the sprinkler system system.

That way, you have eliminated the 'well, technically it only needs an atmospheric vacuum breaker' aspect. Because, technically, it should not have been tapped off the hose bibb anyway.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Moreira Guest

I have another question,

Is that white PVC pipe supposed to be exposed to the sunlight like that.

In my area, I have only seen above ground piping done in copper. Is it permissible to have regular PVC exposed like that?

It is my understanding that the UV will make that stuff very brittle after a few years of exposure.

As a side note, the Grey electrical pipe is permitted because of its composition, meaning whatever is in it is OK for direct sunlight. The Grey part is just for identification that it is electrical.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    Jerry said: "re-install a hose bibb with a vacuum breaker, and, install a proper backflow preventer on the sprinkler system system"

Isn't the vacuum bib breaker the backflow preventer?

Those are not suitable for use when a sprinkler system is attached.

Once the sprinkler system is connected to the piping upstream from the hose bibb, the sprinkler system would need its own backflow preventer.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com