Mel Odic Guest

Default Insurance Inspections...Residential Fire Extinguishers

hello...I have been an insurance inspector since march; & have familiarized myself w/ all relative code info...(at least i'd like to think I have)...but 1 thing still baffles me about residential dwelling fire extinguisher installs as required in APARTMENTS: they never seem to be tagged (as in...inspected by a local official). My company cites 'standard practices' as to their requirement; & NFPA 10 sez nothing about residential vs. commercial. So, I guess the question becomes: Since class A fire extinguishers are required to be installed in the kitchen of an apartment (1 for every 75 feet of travel)...what code governs this requirement; & why. thanx, mel odic

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Insurance Inspections...Residential Fire Extinguishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Odic View Post
    hello...I have been an insurance inspector since march; & have familiarized myself w/ all relative code info...(at least i'd like to think I have)...but 1 thing still baffles me about residential dwelling fire extinguisher installs as required in APARTMENTS: they never seem to be tagged (as in...inspected by a local official). My company cites 'standard practices' as to their requirement; & NFPA 10 sez nothing about residential vs. commercial. So, I guess the question becomes: Since class A fire extinguishers are required to be installed in the kitchen of an apartment (1 for every 75 feet of travel)...what code governs this requirement; & why. thanx, mel odic

Check with the local housing or fire department.
    If there is an apartment association, you may find information there.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

John Neff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Check with the local housing or fire department.
    If there is an apartment association, you may find information there.
    Insurance companies are not governed by local code and can require anything they want a client to have within reason in order to provide coverage. I currently do commercial loss control with 6 firms and ALL REQUIRE apartments insured by them to have fire extinguishers either in the units or in the breezeways of apartment complexes. Just check with the company you are representing and they can give you guidance on their requirments.

erika krieger Guest

Fire Code SECTION 906 PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
    [this is from the NYS 2010 code, based off 2006 I-codes.]

906.1 Where required. Portable fire extinguishers shall be installed in the following locations.
    1. In new and existing Group A, B, E, F, H, I, M, R-1, R-2, R-4 and S occupancies.
    2. Within 30 feet (9144 mm) of commercial cooking equipment.
    3. In areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored, used or dispensed.
    4. On each floor of structures under construction, except Group R-3 occupancies, in accordance with Section 1415.1.
    5. Where required by the sections indicated in Table 906.1.
    6. Special-hazard areas, including but not limited to laboratories, computer rooms and generator rooms, where required by the code enforcement official.
    906.2 General requirements. Portable fire extinguishers shall be selected, installed and maintained in accordance with this section and NFPA 10. Exceptions:
    1. The travel distance to reach an extinguisher shall not apply to ...

There's lots more in the rest of the section....

Quote Originally Posted by John Neff View Post
    Insurance companies are not governed by local code and can require anything they want a client to have within reason in order to provide coverage. I currently do commercial loss control with 6 firms and ALL REQUIRE apartments insured by them to have fire extinguishers either in the units or in the breezeways of apartment complexes. Just check with the company you are representing and they can give you guidance on their requirements.
    Great response and so true... almost.

It is not that insurance companies are not governed by local codes as much as codes are a bare minimum (where have we heard that before?), and can require to go beyond. They can not require something that is against code.

So if it is above and beyond code, why must an insured comply? Well, they don't have to comply and can opt to leave the company anytime they wish. One must remember that we want the ins co to hand over a check if there is a loss. They have a right to set their own standards.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Mel Odic Guest

hey...!!!...thanx, all...GREAT replies...very much appreciated! Erika: thanx...NJ & PA are almost identical. John: My company requires the same (relative to apartment common areas vs. units)...this is what actually prompted my question; & based on Erika's reply, the R-2 rule probably stems from the IBC...will check further. Steve: Being a licensed bldg. inspector in NJ (& being bombarded over the years by employers telling me not to overstep my bounds), I was also thinking that the ins. companies cannot legally require something beyond code purview...(which is also why I was looking for some sort of code back-up, if u will). thanx again, all...M.O.

Last edited by Mel Odic; 09-24-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Every year I get a visit from the fire Marshall and I provide proof that I had them tagged (besides the 80 bucks ($5 a pop) it's a PITA to go collect them and put them back)