Matt Reeser Guest

Default Drywall Fire Code

Hey,

I would like to cut a hole in a fire rated drywall and screw in an over sized patch of drywall over it. Is this acceptable? Should I use a fire rated compound?

I would like to keep this hole accessible without the use of a fire rated access door or an expensive fire rated composite sheet.

Matt

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Drywall Fire Code

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reeser View Post
    Hey,

I would like to cut a hole in a fire rated drywall and screw in an over sized patch of drywall over it. Is this acceptable? Should I use a fire rated compound?

I would like to keep this hole accessible without the use of a fire rated access door or an expensive fire rated composite sheet.

Matt
    Hi Matt
    This is not as simple as you may think.
    I have a few questions
    Why do you think this is a Fire wall
    Is this a multi family unit (condo, townhouse, apartment, or similar), business, commercial, or a single family home?
    What are you going to do (why do you need a hole)?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Matt Reeser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Hi Matt
    This is not as simple as you may think.
    I have a few questions
    Why do you think this is a Fire wall
    Is this a multi family unit (condo, townhouse, apartment, or similar), business, commercial, or a single family home?
    What are you going to do (why do you need a hole)?

Hey,

This is in a MDU utility/cable closet.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No you may not.

Hey,

Matt

Patching over the hole you would have to mud and tape the edges like the rest of the walls.

There are ways to do it, but you need to check with the AHJ and get their blessing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No you may not.
    Yes, you may.

Hey,

Matt
    A little confused.
    If you patch the hole, which is fine, how do you keep it accessible ?
    You would have to remove the patch for access then repatch.
    How about a steel plate bedded in joint compound to seal it? How often do you want/need access is the real question...

A fire rated access door runs less than a hundred dollars. elmdorproducts.com

I think there are also covers out there that are removable (screws) that most likely would work also.

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Bottom line is, although many of us have opinions, we're not the authorities - at least not in your jurisdiction. You would be best served by contacting your local code authority, probably a city or county engineer, for a definitive answer to your very good question. I'm guessing that you will find him or her to be very helpful, and that they will be very happy to tell you exactly how to do this in a way that they would accept.

Good luck with your project!

In the past I have been able to screw a piece of oversized 3/4" plywood over the hole. Have no idea if it satisfies the code but it has satisfied the inspectors.

don agel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gulotta View Post
    In the past I have been able to screw a piece of oversized 3/4" plywood over the hole. Have no idea if it satisfies the code but it has satisfied the inspectors.
    Not sure how that made it by. Further CE may be needed for the local building inspection depts. There are numerous ways to make it safe and fire rated. metal wrap, type x drywall or metal covered panels, fire rated sealants, bringing the panel to the outer surface of the wall, the list goes on. My favorite is the cutting into the firewall separation for the installation of thin walled recessed plastic plumbing boxes. Another joy is a pull down ladder in the ceiling of an attached garage. List goes on and on. But the fact and blunt truth remains that this wall separation is designed and rated for reasons and those need never be forgotten as human life is more precious than any installed component in a home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gulotta View Post
    Not sure how that made it by. Further CE may be needed for the local building inspection depts. There are numerous ways to make it safe and fire rated. metal wrap, type x drywall or metal covered panels, fire rated sealants, bringing the panel to the outer surface of the wall, the list goes on. My favorite is the cutting into the firewall separation for the installation of thin walled recessed plastic plumbing boxes. Another joy is a pull down ladder in the ceiling of an attached garage. List goes on and on. But the fact and blunt truth remains that this wall separation is designed and rated for reasons and those need never be forgotten as human life is more precious than any installed component in a home.