Thread: Vent flashing

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Vent flashing

Last edited by Jeff Eastman; 12-11-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Vent flashing

If there is staining on the sheathing in the attic it is, or was previously leaking. I would just report what I saw.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    In the attic there is water staining on the roof decking where the water heater vent exits the roof. The base flashing looks okay to me but does anyone see anything wrong?

Jeff,

Other than the Big Old Nasty Patch beside it and the Rusty Flue Pipe? No.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Were there any new(er) vent sections down inside?

Wast the water heater replaced?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Barre Guest

Yeah...I see something wrong. Unless I am not seeing things clearly, it looks like your storm collar has no caulking at the inside radius where it meets the flue. If you aren't familiar with the term, the storm collar is the section of the flashing just above the base flashing. It looks like a pie plate pulled upside-down over the flue where it meets the base flashing.
    It's just a small gap, but some water will seep through the gap. Over a few years, this will collect in the depressions around the inlet and outlet fittings on top of the water heater, corroding them and causing premature failure of the water heater --assuming the flue is a straight run up thru the roof. If the flue is not straight up, the water can collect at a bend in the flue and drip thru the ceiling insulation.

Based on the two concentric rings visible on the flue above the current storm collar location, it appears that the water heater has either been replaced or moved up a couple of times. Perhaps the water heaters fail due to corrosion from a leaking flue and the plumbers aren't aware of the root cause and just keep replacing the WH.

If this is not clear, email me and I can provide better photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    Based on the two concentric rings visible on the flue above the current storm collar location, it appears that the water heater has either been replaced or moved up a couple of times.
    Yeppers, that's what I was referring to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com