RobertSmith Guest

Default Re: That dread Exhaust Vent - Texas gang

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post
    (c) Range exhaust vent. The inspector shall:
    (1) report as in need of repair any deficiencies in the filter, vent pipe, light and switches;
    (2) inspect the operation of the blower and report as in need of repair any unusual sounds or vibration levels, or if the blower does not operate at all speeds;
    (3) report as in need of repair a vent pipe that does not terminate outside the structure when the unit is not of recirculating type or configuration.
    (4) report as in need of repair a vent pipe that is of inadequate material; and
    (5) report as in need of repair the absence of a range exhaust vent.
    First and foremost, I believe there is a problem with the terminology used.

"# 3 of below SOP says it is okay to have a recirculating type vent configuration that IS NOT vented to exterior (see photo)? Or am I misintrepreting #3??"

Not being in Texas, I'll still take a stab at it: "(c) Range exhaust vent. The inspector shall:" That would be better stated as "(c) Range hood. The inspector shall:"

Yes, I believe you are misinterpreting it, but mainly because of its terminology.

"But yet, when you get to #5, it than says "report as in need of repair the absence of a range exhaust vent".....therefore, it does not matter whether you have a recirc or not, it is still a repair item. Or am I misintrepreting #5?"

I believe that #5 is saying that the absence of a range hood is a reportable item. The range hood is being referred to as a "range exhaust vent", which is an incorrect term for that. A "range exhaust vent" is the duct from the range hood to and including the discharge roof or wall cap flashing.

"Does not #3 just need to be eliminated from SOP????"

No, I would think that the terminology just needs to be corrected.

A recirculating range hood 'has an exhaust', it just 'exhausts' back into the same room ... after being filtered (unless the filter has been removed).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The ideas for the SOP come in part from the inspector's committee. But, alas, they are written by lawyers. Hence, poor wording is frquently the result.

#3 and #5 are substantially different in intent. #3 intends to say"if it's supposed to vent to the exterior, but doesn't, report it. #5 intended to say "a vent is always required, so if you don't see one report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    #3 and #5 are substantially different in intent. #3 intends to say"if it's supposed to vent to the exterior, but doesn't, report it. #5 intended to say "a vent is always required, so if you don't see one report it.
    BUT ... it is not a "vent", it is a "hood".

So "a vent is always required, so if you don't see one report it." should be "a HOOD is always required, so if you don't see one report it."

But ... even a HOOD is not always required. Just in the Texas SOP.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Robert,

I have been over this with TREC before.

What you show in your picture (a microwave with a recirculating exhaust) is considered acceptable.

What is not acceptable is when you have a range (gas or electric) that is not vented, you do have to note as a repair as a "missing exhaust vent".

This would not be acceptable for example.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

"What you show in your picture (a microwave with a recirculating exhaust) is considered acceptable."

Now you really have me confused. See below.

"What is not acceptable is when you have a range (gas or electric) that is not vented, you do have to note as a repair as a "missing exhaust vent"."

What is shown "IS NOT" "vented". Yet it is okay? But not okay?

The microwave makes "not vented" okay?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A recirculating fan "unvented" is acceptable per TREC as a "range exhaust vent"
    Gas or electric
    I disagree and write up gas fired appliances (range or cook top) as in need of repair under this condition. I believe gas fired appliances should be exhausted to the exterior. But that's another thread.

A vent pipe "flue" that terminates in the living, attic, or crawl space is a repair item per TREC. Vent pipe shall terimate to exterior location.

The absence of either a recirculating fan or exterior venting hood "range exhaust vent" per TREC, NO APPLIANCE PRESENT per me is a repair item per TREC.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Cool Re: That dread Exhaust Vent - Texas gang

If the gases never leave the house then they cannot be called "exhaust" .I think some standards cmtes. need to get their collective heads out of their butts and quit mincing words. With regards to clothes dryers, regardless whether electric or gas, you don't want to dump moisture back into the home-period. With gas, you want it to exhaust "bad stuff" to the outdoors.

Stoves, whether electric or gas, cause aerosolized moisture and fat droplets that should be exhausted to the outdoors. Boggles my mind you can install a gas range with the option of an exhaust hood. Optional to install the hood and optional to operate it. There is no safety interlock with the gas control. If you wanted it to make sense, the sequence should be to turn on the stove or range, the exhaust fan is actuated. When a vacuum switch proves draft, the ignition circuit is closed to the gas control allowing the burner to ignite. A high limit spill switch stands guard should be vent become blocked or the unit does not exhaust sufficiently. Ideally, it would be a gas direct vent oven.

Recirculating fans should be banned.

An you just thought it was the tryptophan in the turkey making everyone sleepy at Thanksgiving.

Next thing you know, they'll be putting draft hoods on top of water heaters. Oops!---too late. No wonder the world is crazy. We are living in pollution.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    If the gases never leave the house then they cannot be called "exhaust" .I think some standards cmtes. need to get their collective heads out of their butts and quit mincing words.
    Thank you Bob, just what I've been saying (or at least trying to say) above in my posts.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com