Default LVL not supported on ends & twisted

I have never seen this type application before which made me have some reason for concern. The LVL main beam was not supported at the end, but had another LVL next to it. On another part of the floor joist the LVL was twisting. Has anyone seen this before and would you call it out.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: LVL not supported on ends & twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Morris View Post
    I have never seen this type application before which made me have some reason for concern. The LVL main beam was not supported at the end, but had another LVL next to it. On another part of the floor joist the LVL was twisting. Has anyone seen this before and would you call it out.
    Yes, I would call this a defect. The beams lack lateral support. I would simply say that the beams are not properly supported at bearing ends.

Regarding the beam that does not extend to the last joist and is apparently cantilevered, that could also be a concern. I did not study the photos close enough to see what was going on there.

Agreeing with you and Mark - that looks like something a kid building a tree fort would do.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Those look downright scarey. Refer it out!

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956