Exclamation TickBite Meat Allergy Warning

Search for "Alpha-gal" and you will come across a recently recognized allergy to antibodies released by a Lone Star tick and what can happen to you as it has to me. You can forget eating any mammalian meat. Steak, pork, roast beef, lamb, sausage, venison, possum, raccoon, or whatever you like to dine on. What's left is veggies, fish, poultry and fruit. I'm so sick of chicken and I really not a big fish fan. I've eaten more fish in the last six months than I have in the last 20 years. You also have to be careful about anything made with mammal products like beef broth. That's in a lot of soups and sauces.

The Lone Star tick originates in Texas but has spread to a wide area of the South, East, and central states. We all find ourselves wading though shrubbery, grass, and trees. If you can carry an insect repellant with DEET and spray clothes and everything you can as soon as you get out of the vehicle. Check yourself for ticks as soon as possible.

The reaction is not immediate. It's usually several hours after you have eaten and the body has absorbed the alpha-gal sugars found in mammal meat. Then you can have a variety of unpleasant reactions up to anaphylaxis. I have to carry EpiPens and Benadryl with me.

My first reaction a year ago on September 1st started with a massive case of hives that started on my head and ended up all over my body. My face, tongue, and throat swelled and I had my first ambulance trip to the ER for anaphylaxis. Not knowing what caused it, I blamed it on a pickle, I had another severe hive attack before I went to an allergist.

How long, if not forever, the antibodies exist in the body is not known yet. I have to go back for another alpha-gal blood test in December. If I'm clear, I'm going to have the biggest Ribeye steak I can find. In fact, I may have steak for a week then go to roast beef and hamburgers. Oh yeah, hot dog chili on some all beef hot dogs.

Just be careful out there.

Crawl Space Creeper
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: TickBite Meat Allergy Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Search for "Alpha-gal" and you will come across a recently recognized allergy to antibodies released by a Lone Star tick and what can happen to you as it has to me. You can forget eating any mammalian meat. Steak, pork, roast beef, lamb, sausage, venison, possum, raccoon, or whatever you like to dine on. What's left is veggies, fish, poultry and fruit. I'm so sick of chicken and I really not a big fish fan. I've eaten more fish in the last six months than I have in the last 20 years. You also have to be careful about anything made with mammal products like beef broth. That's in a lot of soups and sauces.

The Lone Star tick originates in Texas but has spread to a wide area of the South, East, and central states. We all find ourselves wading though shrubbery, grass, and trees. If you can carry an insect repellant with DEET and spray clothes and everything you can as soon as you get out of the vehicle. Check yourself for ticks as soon as possible.

The reaction is not immediate. It's usually several hours after you have eaten and the body has absorbed the alpha-gal sugars found in mammal meat. Then you can have a variety of unpleasant reactions up to anaphylaxis. I have to carry EpiPens and Benadryl with me.

My first reaction a year ago on September 1st started with a massive case of hives that started on my head and ended up all over my body. My face, tongue, and throat swelled and I had my first ambulance trip to the ER for anaphylaxis. Not knowing what caused it, I blamed it on a pickle, I had another severe hive attack before I went to an allergist.

How long, if not forever, the antibodies exist in the body is not known yet. I have to go back for another alpha-gal blood test in December. If I'm clear, I'm going to have the biggest Ribeye steak I can find. In fact, I may have steak for a week then go to roast beef and hamburgers. Oh yeah, hot dog chili on some all beef hot dogs.

Just be careful out there.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope all turns out well.

Strange you mention a tick. After leaving and inspection less than a week ago I had my window barely cracked open and my hair felt like it was fluttering so I ran my hand though the part in my hair with my left hand to straighten my hair out. I took my hand away and felt something on it and shook my hand to get what ever it was off. It was a tick holding on to the top of my middle finger. The biggest tick I have seen in decades. Not big from sucking blood but big is size around. I pulled over and had to flick it off my finger out the window. I was feeling around my hair and body for hours overtime I felt anything. Nasty little creatures.

Again, I hope all works out for you.

We have Lyme disease up here transmitted by Ticks.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/disease/lyme.aspx<br>

Two years ago I came home after walking in the fields with my dogs and a couple of days later after showering I noticed what I thought was a scab on my chest. I examined if further only to realize the scab was the body of a Tick which had embedded itself into my skin. After close to an hour using tweezers and trying to dig out the head which broke off I had to resort to using a needle along with using peroxide and alcohol I got the head part out.

I checked with our local health department and there were no reported cases of Ticks carrying Lyme disease in my area, nor did I develop a bulls-eye rash on my chest. Checked with my doctor too and fortunately the Tick was not carrying the contagion.

Tick Removal: It is now recommended to freeze them instantly with either electronic component freeze spray or as others have recommended, starter fluid. I wonder if the DIY kit for freezing warts would work? Trying to remove them any other way apparently makes them release more of their joy juice.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    I was feeling around my hair and body for hours
    Oh Noooo!
    *thanks for sharing that mental image.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.