Default Breaker Link Material

Is a copper wire used to link two single pole breakers an acceptable method for converting to a 2-pole 220V breaker? What does the code say?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Default Re: Breaker Link Material

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Is a copper wire used to link two single pole breakers an acceptable method for converting to a 2-pole 220V breaker? What does the code say?
    Ken, in an industry that doesn't allow the use of another manufactures circuit breaker in an otherwise compatible panel, your asking if a piece of wire is ok?

The greater question is; does a manufactured double pole breaker function differently than two single pole breakers tied together? Because a single pole breaker does not open its contacts when the handle is forced to the tripped position. So unless both breakers over current at the same time both contacts don't open even with an approved handle tie. In a MWBC it will most likely be only one of the breakers over current making the handle tie a moot point.
    JMHO

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Looks like the work of a "Saturday Morning Big Box Class Electricity Be fun Graduate."
    *is the screw and washer thru the top breakers ALLOWED ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Looks like the work of a "Saturday Morning Big Box Class Electricity Be fun Graduate."
    *is the screw and washer thru the top breakers ALLOWED ?
    That is the required retaining device for the back fed main breaker.

See: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...0-circuits.htm Post #33 for more information regarding the differences in two single pole and manufactured double pole.

Sorry, link doesn't work! How do I post a reference link to old IE post?

I think this will work: http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...-circuits.html

Last edited by Vern Heiler; 10-13-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Ken, in an industry that doesn't allow the use of another manufactures circuit breaker in an otherwise compatible panel, your asking if a piece of wire is ok?

The greater question is; does a manufactured double pole breaker function differently than two single pole breakers tied together? Because a single pole breaker does not open its contacts when the handle is forced to the tripped position. So unless both breakers over current at the same time both contacts don't open even with an approved handle tie. In a MWBC it will most likely be only one of the breakers over current making the handle tie a moot point.
    JMHO
    Vern,

I am serious about the question Why would breaker manufacturers put holes in the breaker buttons for linked connections if they didn't allow some sort of linkage between breakers?

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Vern,

I am serious about the question Why would breaker manufacturers put holes in the breaker buttons for linked connections if they didn't allow some sort of linkage between breakers?
    They do! It's just that it has to be an approved linkage device and an approved application. The link I posted on the last post has a lot of good information.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    The link does not state that it is advertising the "only" approved retainer. Besides it is a Bryant circuit breaker in the OP's post.

Vern Nailed this one and is correct.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...gh-center.html

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

That screw is the normal OEM hold down/ retainer for Bryant/ Westinghouse/ Cutler-Hammer, BR frame circuit breakers, nothing wrong with it.

The wire handle tie is not kosher IMO, OEM handle ties are avail.

Mbrooke Guest

The screw is needed to hold down the main breaker. All main breakers need a hold down kit and the screw was common for Bryant panels. Also, if that is a 240 volt circuit it needs a double pole breaker, handle ties don't give internal common trip. Shared neutrals can do a handles tie, as long as its listed and approved as such.

BTW, I see a Homeline breaker in that panel, only Cutler Hammer type BRs and existing Bryants are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrooke View Post
    The screw is needed to hold down the main breaker. All main breakers need a hold down kit and the screw was common for Bryant panels. Also, if that is a 240 volt circuit it needs a double pole breaker, handle ties don't give internal common trip. Shared neutrals can do a handles tie, as long as its listed and approved as such.

BTW, I see a Homeline breaker in that panel, only Cutler Hammer type BRs and existing Bryants are compatible.
    If your referring to the SP breakers in lower right, those are Westinghouse & are fine in that panel, a Homeline in any panel but a SQ D is always wrong, as they are not classified for other makes.

Mbrooke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    If your referring to the SP breakers in lower right, those are Westinghouse & are fine in that panel, a Homeline in any panel but a SQ D is always wrong, as they are not classified for other makes.

My mistake, I was thinking older square Ds. Westinghouse would indeed by fine then.