Default Is this a scam? If not what should I do?

Is this a scam? If not what should I do?

Received a email from "Jim" last week asking if I was connected to a company in China. Then this week I get an email from some company official in China stating that they are going to pursue registering the domain name with .CN, but are going to wait to see what Mr. Jim says. Then today I get this email from Jim:

Dear Vern ,

Based on your company having no relationship with them, we have suggested they should choose another name to avoid this conflict but they insist on this name as CN domain names (.cn/.com.cn/.net.cn/.org.cn) and internet keyword on the internet. In our opinion, maybe they do the similar business as your company and register it to promote his company.
    According to the domain name registration principle: The domain names and internet keyword which applied based on the international principle are opened to companies as well as individuals. Any companies or individuals have rights to register any domain name and internet keyword which are unregistered. Because your company haven't registered this name as CN domains and internet keyword on the internet, anyone can obtain them by registration. However, in order to avoid this conflict, the trademark or original name owner has priority to make this registration in our audit period. If your company is the original owner of this name and want to register these CN domain names (.cn/.com.cn/.net.cn/.org.cn) and internet keyword to prevent anybody from using them, please inform us. We can send an application form and the price list to you and help you register these within dispute period.

Kind regards

Jim
    General Manager
    Shanghai Office (Head Office)
    3002, Nanhai Building, No. 854 Nandan Road,
    Xuhui District, Shanghai 200070, China
    Tel: +86 216191 8696
    Mobile: +86 1870199 4951
    Fax: +86 216191 8697
    Web: www.ygregistry.cn

OREP Insurance
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Is this a scam? If not what should I do?

The lousy grammar alone tells me it's a scam.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

I would not worry about it, unless you plan to do business in China. It’s just a country extension after the .com (or .net, .org, etc), just like all the other countries use: .au (Australia), .ru (Russia), .jp (Japan), etc are you going to worry about all of them? No different if someone uses your website name, but uses .net or .biz or one of the many other extensions after the name. When people search your name .com usually pops up first and people are more familiar with the .com extension and will click it. If you had a common name or generic name like Money.com, you would probably want to get the common extensions for it such as .net and .org, but I would not worry about country extensions unless you plan to go global… just my two cents…

Hi Vern,

Numbers 6 thru 9 of the link would be my WAG.

http://www.domainwarning.com/

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Thanks for the advise. I was considering registering the additional .cn domains with one of the 99 cent crowd but with my web page being pathetic anyway, I think I will just let it ride.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.