Default "Sub Panel" Connections

This panel is connected to the main service panel and a few things don't look right to me.

1. Can you share ground and neutral bus if a metal nipple is used for close connection? (white tape on neutral wire)

2. Is it OK to have the neutral connections for the two single pole breakers in the sub panel located remotely in the main service panel?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Will Hansen Guest

Default Re: "Sub Panel" Connections

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    This panel is connected to the main service panel and a few things don't look right to me.

1. Can you share ground and neutral bus if a metal nipple is used for close connection? (white tape on neutral wire)

2. Is it OK to have the neutral connections for the two single pole breakers in the sub panel located remotely in the main service panel?
    The neutrals and EGC's cannot share the same bar in a sub panel. The ground strap needs to be removed and a separate ground bar (not bus) should be installed.

- - - Updated - - -

The neutrals and EGC's cannot share the same bar in a sub panel. The ground strap needs to be removed and a separate ground bar (not bus) should be installed.

I see a bonding screw and clip. I believe it should be removed from the sub panel. Not sure about the conduit connection. I think as long as the box is not bonded that it'd OK. Anyone else got an opinion?

The ground bar is missing. Once installed the grounding conductors need to be moved to the ground bus.

All conductors of the circuit need to originate in the same panel.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Mbrooke Guest

Not right, remove neutral buss to case bond, add ground bar, move grounds to new ground bar. Also 2 circuits are going into the main panel rather than having all conductors originate from the the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The ground bar is missing. Once installed the grounding conductors need to be moved to the ground bus.

All conductors of the circuit need to originate in the same panel.
    Jim,

I get the issue regarding the neutral and ground bars. That's what I thought but just wanted to confirm here.

But what do you mean when you say "All conductors need to "originate" in the same panel. In the photo it looks like all the conductors for the two single pole breakers "originate" in the same panel except that the hot conductors then "protrude" into the adjacent panel.

Can you reference a code section for this comment?
    Thanks!

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com

Jim,

But what do you mean when you say "All conductors need to "originate" in the same panel. In the photo it looks like all the conductors for the two single pole breakers "originate" in the same panel except that the hot conductors then "protrude" into the adjacent panel.

Can you reference a code section for this comment?
    Thanks!
    Thought that was only for MWBC under 210.4(D) Grouping (2008 NEC), I'm interested to know as well.