Default Joist Hangers in Basement

Hello, is it worth mentioning the use of joist hangers for the floor support in the basement versus the joists sitting on top of the main beam?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Joist Hangers in Basement

Probably not, since the joists are on top of the beam, where would the hangers go? Do you have a picture?

As long as there is proper bearing and lateral support all should be good, I'm making some assumptions on how it was done without seeing it.

Last edited by Mike Kleisch; 10-22-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Joist hangers are fine if they are sized right and if all the nail holes are being used. The subfloor should be glued and screwed with the sheets staggered as well. Very strong if done right.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Delio View Post
    Hello, is it worth mentioning the use of joist hangers for the floor support in the basement versus the joists sitting on top of the main beam?
    What you are referring to is known as a flush beam. From a design standpoint when a wood beam is used this is considered a batter practice than a beam placed below the joists. Assuming the beam is dimentional lumber, there is more shrinkage at the beam that at the sill plates, which causes the floor to slope. Not much concern with engineered lumber and no concern with steel.

I was thinking this was already installed...

If you are going the flush beam route then make sure there are ways for the HVAC guy to get his runs in and have cut sheets ready in case sparky and the plumber need to drill through the beam for their runs. I've heard it over and over the plumbers ask, "How big of a hole can I make in the beam?"

You need good planning with flush beams, I've seen it many times where the ductwork had to go under the beam and a bulkhead had to be built to cover it. If it's a finished basment and you really need the headroom, or to avoid bulkheads, then go this route, but plan for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kleisch View Post
    I've heard it over and over the plumbers ask, "How big of a hole can I make in the beam?"

Wow.... you have polite plumbers. Around here they never ask - they just get the chain saw out of the truck and go to work

don agel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Wow.... you have polite plumbers. Around here they never ask - they just get the chain saw out of the truck and go to work
    And always is done after the framing inspection has passed. Does the plumbing inspector mention it to the framing inspector to go back and check out what the plumber did? LOL Nope, later we get to photograph and explain to everyone why this was a bad idea and warrants corrective actions.