Default Nice fire damage repair

I am surprised the person installing this sheathing did not fall through the roof while they were doing it. Of course there was nothing on the disclosure about any fire damage. Roof was only a couple months old. Ah, it ain't that bad, just some minor smoke damage.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Nice fire damage repair

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    I am surprised the person installing this sheathing did not fall through the roof while they were doing it. Of course there was nothing on the disclosure about any fire damage. Roof was only a couple months old. Ah, it ain't that bad, just some minor smoke damage.
    ...{cringe}...

Fire damage is an odd thing... it's the most obvious thing you run across yet curiously it's never on the disclosure and sellers have no idea what you're talking about. I've had this exact scenario numerous times over the years.

Besides the obvious fire damage, there is a hidden problem with that house - 1000's of gallons of water were poured into the attic and walls putting that blaze out. Even after the structure is repaired, there can be mold issues for years to come. Buyer beware.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I have found fire damage like this many times over the years. The typical acceptable char depth is 1/4 inch. I use a flat head screw driver, give it a push and twist. This will create a nice little hole to get an idea of actual char depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Tarter View Post
    I have found fire damage like this many times over the years. The typical acceptable char depth is 1/4 inch. I use a flat head screw driver, give it a push and twist. This will create a nice little hole to get an idea of actual char depth.
    I'm not sure where that information is from. !/4" char depth would reduce the width of a 2x rafter 1/3rd. On an edge 1/4 inch has quite an effect on strength and deflection also. I personally would be concerned with anything over about 1/16th inch.

I found this

Lumber Specialties
    FIRE DAMAGED TRUSSES

Question: I have been hired by an insurance company to determine the extent of damage to roof trusses exposed to fire. How much fire damage compromises the structural integrity of the truss?
    Answer: As far as we know, there is no specific information available to determine the strength degradation of plates and lumber after trusses have survived a fire. We contacted some engineers in the industry to get an informal description of their methods for dealing with this situation. Some will specify repair or removal of any charred material. Some will specify repair or removal of lumber that has lost over 10 percent of its cross section due to charring. Some will allow up to 1/16" char depth on the assumption that it will not reduce the strength markedly. Lumber that is discolored by smoke damage but not charred is usually considered acceptable after it has been cleaned. If there is damage to the plate area, the plate is discolored or there is charring under the plate, the plate should be considered ineffective.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    I'm not sure where that information is from. !/4" char depth would reduce the width of a 2x rafter 1/3rd. On an edge 1/4 inch has quite an effect on strength and deflection also. I personally would be concerned with anything over about 1/16th inch.
    It was a city building inspector that gave me 1/4 inch rule, this would be more realistic for larger wood members or one side of a 2x4, not all sides. Basically when you see this type of fire damage you have to make an assessment, and if necessary recommend additional repair or further review by licensed framing contractor.

It was a city building inspector that gave me 1/4 inch rule, this would be more realistic for larger wood members or one side of a 2x4, not all sides. Basically when you see this type of fire damage you have to make an assessment, and if necessary recommend additional repair or further review by licensed framing contractor.
    Nothing to "Assess" on this one Replace All Fire damaged framing members by a combatant licensed contractor.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Nothing to "Assess" on this one Replace All Fire damaged framing members by a combatant licensed contractor.
    Billy, your SpellCheck is itching for a scrap.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Billy, your SpellCheck is itching for a scrap.
    What?

Most of them Guy around here is Awful Surly.
    *I'm still looking for that bacon Sandwich.

** SpellCheck

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

When I was a hammer swinger, the rule was, any alligator scale charring and that member had to go. The rule was from the city.

The heat damage is deeper than just the char. This isn't just speed kiln drying. This kind of heat damages the wood fiber even if unburned.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

... not to mention; the burnt odour of the charred wood...

don agel Guest

????Trent there are framing members beyond that, and one nearly gone.???????????

don agel Guest

Older home, new roofing HVAC ducting, electrical, insulation, etc. with numerous potential issues! This would have been a tedious inspection. First call would have been to the local building inspection department to see what work has been permitted and inspected. If none, disclosure, disclosure, disclosure. lol

Quote Originally Posted by don agel View Post
    Older home, new roofing HVAC ducting, electrical, insulation, etc. with numerous potential issues! This would have been a tedious inspection.
    Not at all.

Fire Damage Noted in Attic.

Remove, Replace all Improperly Repaired Fire, Smoke Damage.

don agel Guest

Not at all.

Fire Damage Noted in Attic.

Remove, Replace all Improperly Repaired Fire, Smoke Damage.
    Again, charred framing, replaced roof decking in areas. Don't suppose all that framing was charred to that extent and somehow didn't damage other components of the home? Yup that HVAC duct strap and Romex just somehow missed the damage from the heat/smoke. That is why being that those are visibly replaced after the fire I made the statements I made. Now Billy, were you inferring something else?

Quote Originally Posted by don agel View Post
    Again, charred framing, replaced roof decking in areas. Don't suppose all that framing was charred to that extent and somehow didn't damage other components of the home? Yup that HVAC duct strap and Romex just somehow missed the damage from the heat/smoke. That is why being that those are visibly replaced after the fire I made the statements I made. Now Billy, were you inferring something else?
    Nope.

Just used a lot less words ( and time in the attic.)
    * all the Insulation would require replacement as well.

don agel Guest

Nope.

Just used a lot less words ( and time in the attic.)
    * all the Insulation would require replacement as well.
    Probably why I mentioned it earlier.

Smile Re: Nice fire damage repair

[QUOTE=Frank Bombardiere;232972]I am surprised --

Surely you jest! Only report here is: Great work protecting house until roofing rebuild crew can get to it!