Default #2 copper and 4/0 aluminum double tapped at main breaker.

Yesterday I ran into a first for me. First floor is serviced by a Bryant 200 amp panel. The main service is supplied from the meter by 4/0 aluminum. The owner double tapped at the main breaker with #2 copper to feed the lower level panel -- a 100 amp Federal Pacific panel with "stab-Lok" breakers. Interested in your comments. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen but do not want to over react. --- Sorry, having problems uploading photos

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Don Horn; 10-29-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Upload photos
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: #2 copper and 4/0 aluminum double tapped at main breaker.

It would definitely get some red ink on my report, both from the double tap and for the FPE panel. Is there room in the service panel for a supply breaker to the sub panel?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    It would definitely get some red ink on my report, both from the double tap and for the FPE panel. Is there room in the service panel for a supply breaker to the sub panel?
    Yes, I have suggested that be done. Without one, the #2 copper has inadequate protection. You bring up another problem --- The FPE "sub panel" is not wired as a sub panel.

Those lugs are for one conductor not two. Also the AL should not be touching the CU. There are probably other issues as well.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Don't worry about over-reacting on that one. It is completely screwed up and should all be torn out and replaced by a professional.
    Crap like that burns houses down.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Don't worry about over-reacting on that one. It is completely screwed up and should all be torn out and replaced by a professional.
    Crap like that burns houses down.
    Thanks for the feed back. I jumped all over it (in Red letters) and called it everything, just short of "crap".