Default crack in integrated sink

I'm not real familiar with these kinds of sinks, where they are one with the counter top. There is a crack in this one, which I'm reporting, obviously. I guess the only solution is replace the counter top, right? Or, can this be effectively repaired?

sink crack under.jpgsink crack.jpg

Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: crack in integrated sink

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I'm not real familiar with these kinds of sinks, where they are one with the counter top. There is a crack in this one, which I'm reporting, obviously. I guess the only solution is replace the counter top, right? Or, can this be effectively repaired?
    You don't have to know HOW to repair it, you just report that it needs to be repaired.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Cheaper to replace, repair if possible will likely be the cost of new sink. Looks like acrylic acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Cheaper to replace, repair if possible will likely be the cost of new sink. Looks like acrylic acrylic.
    Might be able to cut out the sink and install a top mounted sink. But, that is a SWAG!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Might be able to cut out the sink and install a top mounted sink. But, that is a SWAG!
    If it is Corian, the original sink was glued to the countertop. Cut it off, glue in a new sink. Don't break it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ya on second review of photo it is not acrylic.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    You don't have to know HOW to repair it, you just report that it needs to be repaired.
    While we don't need to know how to repair something, it is nice to know some of these things. I don't tell my clients how to fix something but I do give them ideas about what options they might have if it is a repair option I know a little bit about.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    While we don't need to know how to repair something, it is nice to know some of these things. I don't tell my clients how to fix something but I do give them ideas about what options they might have if it is a repair option I know a little bit about.
    True
    However in this case, John said, "I'm not real familiar with these kinds of sinks, where they are one with the counter top". From the photo, it looks like a 2 piece. The sink will separate from the countertop, but I was not there, so I could be wrong. Being that John is unfamiliar with these sinks and I do not know what is installed. I am thinking it might look bad on John if he said to replace the sink and countertop and it turned out to be the countertop does not need to be replaced.
    So I thought it best to say report that it needs to be repaired.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"How" the repair is made depends on the material the sink is made from - 'most' (if not all) of those sinks can be repaired by a professional who is experienced in those repairs.

I've been told by some that those sinks cannot be repaired, and been told by others that if the person knows how to make the repair for the material, they can be repaired ... the key is the cost of making the repair versus a replacement - which is not up to the inspector anyway, it is up to the buyer and the seller.

I once had one of those large acrylic tubs crack in half - the repair person repaired the crack (Kohler sent the repair person out) and that person repaired the tub while the tub was still in place, and the repair was not visible after he was finished with it, and Kohler guaranteed the repair for 5 years (as I recall, that was in the mid-1990s).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There are people who make a living by repairing man-made sinks and countertops. Often, they also repair boat hulls and camper bodies. I had a cracked sink in our truck camper repaired, and the repair was not at all visible from the top or underside when the guy finished. It was a warranty repair, so no $$$ exchanged hands, but if I remember correctly, he said he typically charged less than 1/3 the base cost of a new unit.