Kris Svendsen Guest

Default Drilled and filled holes around perimeter of patio

Anyone know what these drilled and filled holes are? They appear to be around the entire perimeter of the patio and filled with some sort of plastic, or resin, or something. Home was built in 1992 and pool was added later. I'm assuming the decking was added at the same time. I have a theory on what it could be but wanted some other input.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Drilled and filled holes around perimeter of patio

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Svendsen View Post
    Anyone know what these drilled and filled holes are?
    Old School Termite Treatment.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Agreed- drill and spill.

Kris Svendsen Guest

Good to know. Thanks guys!

How is new school termite treatment done?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Euriech View Post
    How is new school termite treatment done?

Jeff
    Consumer Update: Termite Baits

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

How would you install a bait station where there is concrete?

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    There is still perimeter termite treatment available, use a different product.
    With perimeter treatment you still drill holes in patios and block foundations.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    There is still perimeter termite treatment available, use a different product.
    With perimeter treatment you still drill holes in patios and block foundations.

My point exactly.

[/COLOR]My point exactly.
    OK
    I did not know it was one of those questions that was not a question.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Does that "Concrete" Extent to the Ends of the Earth ?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Anyone know what these drilled and filled holes are? They appear to be around the entire perimeter of the patio and filled with some sort of plastic, or resin, or something. Home was built in 1992 and pool was added later. I'm assuming the decking was added at the same time. I have a theory on what it could be but wanted some other input.
    Based on the above underlined and bolded, and that which was not described as being elsewhere regarding perimeter of the building; I have a differing theory (actually two) than that which others have previously offered, and which would be consistant with the apprent spacing and the lack of its presence now:

One being that perhaps a kit structure upon the patio such as a screen house/3-season house (perhaps used as a cabanna - e.g., free standing), or a kit green-house of the time-frame you referenced. The chanel sole (upon gasket) spacing wouldn't stand up to subsequent requirements & environmental exposures (wind ratings, sun, heat, time, soil/patio slab movement) and its presence, depending on placement could compromise EERO and secondary egress/exits as well as proximity spacings re:separation ratings/fire ratings, in addition to restriction for required natural ventillation for the primary structure (screened operable windows/sliding doors) -- even if everybody runs the AC/HP nearly YR.

The Second theory also based on your mention of a later addition of a pool beyond the patio and in consideration of the exposed aggregate finish of the hard surface (and the knowledge of how uncomfortable it can be to traverse same with wet tender feet, expecially when same is HOT), that sleeper softer surface (low even removable such as a 'floating deck", or for example a removable outdoor dance floor/decking under event/party tents, etc.) may have been employed not unlike upon a flat roof, or for example the biyou or tidal areas; which due to age, uglieness, tendancy to catch debris and attract/house insects & critters below, may have been subsequently removed. IOW interlocking drainable decking sections which need only be secured at the perimeter. For different reasons (accessibility) I have employed same to my veranda. When no longer required it is easily removed, but in the meantime is sufficiently fastened (tied down) and meets FL criteria. On that same theory (perimeter of patio, alternative softer-scape finish retention theory an outdoor carpet/mat such as those woven acrylics may have been inplace, even stretched/captured upon a captured edge perimeter retention. I do note the threshold is barely elevated and a slight graying (or shadow) beyond the bright few inches between structure and just before "the plugs".

Otherwise (drill & spill perimeter of the structure hard scape, barrier wdo) I'd expect similar for all finished hard grade surfaces found at the parallel to the perimeter for the entire primary structure, not the perimeter of the entire patio itself.

It is unfortunate that the plugging material color was not carefully chosen and/or was not tint-matched.
    The kit structures I'm thinking of could be acquired in a square, rectangular, "ell", hexagon or octogon configuration without any special upcharges. Could be fit with sliding, swinging, french doors or a combination thereof, and with screened and prime doors, and were not cheap.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-10-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Based on the above underlined and bolded, and that which was not described as being elsewhere regarding perimeter of the building; I have a differing theory (actually two) than that which others have previously offered, and which would be consistant with the apprent spacing and the lack of its presence now:

One being that perhaps a kit structure upon the patio such as a screen house/3-season house (perhaps used as a cabanna - e.g., free standing), or a kit green-house of the time-frame you referenced. The chanel sole (upon gasket) spacing wouldn't stand up to subsequent requirements & environmental exposures (wind ratings, sun, heat, time, soil/patio slab movement) and its presence, depending on placement could compromise EERO and secondary egress/exits as well as proximity spacings re:separation ratings/fire ratings, in addition to restriction for required natural ventillation for the primary structure (screened operable windows/sliding doors) -- even if everybody runs the AC/HP nearly YR.

The Second theory also based on your mention of a later addition of a pool beyond the patio and in consideration of the exposed aggregate finish of the hard surface (and the knowledge of how uncomfortable it can be to traverse same with wet tender feet, expecially when same is HOT), that sleeper softer surface (low even removable such as a 'floating deck", or for example a removable outdoor dance floor/decking under event/party tents, etc.) may have been employed not unlike upon a flat roof, or for example the biyou or tidal areas; which due to age, uglieness, tendancy to catch debris and attract/house insects & critters below, may have been subsequently removed. IOW interlocking drainable decking sections which need only be secured at the perimeter. For different reasons (accessibility) I have employed same to my veranda. When no longer required it is easily removed, but in the meantime is sufficiently fastened (tied down) and meets FL criteria.

Otherwise I'd expect similar for all finished hard grade surfaces found at the parallel to the perimeter for the entire primary structure, not the perimeter of the entire patio itself.

It is unfortunate that the plugging material color was not carefully chosen and/or was not tint-matched.
    The kit structures I'm thinking of could be acquired in a square, rectangular, "ell", hexagon or octogon configuration without any special upcharges. Could be fit with sliding, swinging, french doors or a combination thereof, and with screened and prime doors, and were not cheap.
    Possible

Wow!

All that verbiage for a Screened in Porch Kit.
    * with holes drilled every foot next to the structure for bottom channeling to attach vertical supports, or a really long "sliding door."

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Wow!

* with holes drilled every foot for bottom channeling to attach vertical supports, or a really long "sliding door."
    Notice there are not holes drilled along the house ... those holes are for termite treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow!

* with holes drilled every foot for bottom channeling to attach vertical supports, or a really long "sliding door."
    Notice there are not holes drilled along the house ... those holes are for termite treatment.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Agreed- drill and spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Now, Now Mr Watson has a right to his incorrect opinion.

* there could have been a Free Standing Screened in Porch that was Removed and then the house was built.

are the same holes also around the perimeter of the pool? pool cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't understand. Holes drilled along the house?

Now, Now Mr Watson has a right to his incorrect opinion.

* there could have been a Free Standing Screened in Porch that was Removed and then the house was built.
    "there could have been"

You are correct, the earth "could" explode tomorrow too ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How about mudjacking.

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lamb View Post
    How about mudjacking.
    Holes would be larger and not so closely spaced.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

SOP for termite treatment.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

If one were to read the label for termiticides, it states that all expansion joints should be treated to provide a continious barrier around the structure. Most of these chemicals require 4 gal. / per 10 linear feet.

Rick

Those are holes from a termite treatment. Likely Termador insecticide treatment.