Default Words fail me...

I have never encountered anything quite like the property at this inspection. I've just posted a bit of the electrical and the utility room, however the entire inspection was like this, to write up the utility room alone at a normal level of detail would have been an entire typical reports worth of defects, and then some.

The deeper I got into it, the less I could believe that is was actually possible for a everything at a property to be totally WRONG - the house was about as close to an actual HI nightmare as I'm ever like to experience in waking state.

Worse, a young couple has purchased it "as is" on a contract the prohibited both inspection and attorney review - I've never heard of such a thing.

They got me in there after the closing, by the end of the inspection one client was literally in tears - they had no way out, it would cost a minimum of $100K to walk away, and I'd say a minimum of $300K to put it right (starting with jacking up the back half of the house and pouring a new foundation).

And... and here's the piece de resistance ... the Realtor who had them sign this contract without a word about the risks was.... one clients' mother!

I could not take a dime of their money - the whole experience made me sick at heard and mad as hell at the same time.

(Later I found out that *their* attorney - who got involved only after the contract was signed and had been unable to extricate them from it - refused payment as well).

I don't believe I've ever tried to do the job as well as I tried to do it at this property, or derived less pleasure from doing it.

The whole experience just sucked.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Words fail me...

Worse, a young couple has purchased it "as is" on a contract the prohibited both inspection and attorney review - I've never heard of such a thing.
    as is
    adj. description of a condition in a sales contract in which the buyer agrees to take the property (e.g. house, horse, auto, or appliance) without the right to complain if it is faulty. However, the buyer must have had the right to reasonable inspection, so that he/she has a chance to find any obvious deficiency. Intentionally hiding a known defect will make a seller liable for fraud and serves to cancel the "as is" provision.

As-is is a term used in warranty law to disclaim the seller's liability for faults in the item sold. The buyer accepts the item in the present condition, whether the faults are apparent or not. "As-is" language clarifies that no written or verbal warranties were made to the buyer and is used to protect the seller. However, the seller cannot misrepresent the item or use fraud to induce the sale.
    In most states "as-is" home sellers are now required to disclose to their buyers all known defects in the residence. It is recommended that buyers in an as-is sale have the inspect the item carefully, such as hiring a professional home inspector when purchasing an as-is home.

It's astounding to see the situations that people get themselves into. If anything I'll bet it's going to be a painful lesson that they'll learn much from.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Never had a house like that, but had had a room like that today. Report was easy to write: "Room for hot tub requires demolition and total rebuild including adequate concrete support."

You are a good man to donate your time on a lost cause. Hope the buyers appreciate it.

"..... And... and here's the piece de resistance ... the Realtor who had them sign this contract without a word about the risks was.... one clients' mother!....."

Greed and stupidity can find its way into every family. Hopefully they buyers learned a life lesson about the Mother/Realtor. Also another one about making an emotional purchasing decision and not a pragmatic decision. Apparently they thought AS IS was reversible

Bottom line is that a good education has a price. Philosophically it is only money, which they will eventually over come. Also, the horror story demonstrating the need of a good unbiased appraisal of the property.

I can picture myself having the exact same reaction in the same situation. I've read many times how HIs should distance themselves from the transaction and just report the facts. While that is largely true I can't help but getting to know my clients (as much as possible in a few hours) and putting myself in their shoes. I really try to help people out as much as possible but often times there is only so much you can do.

reposted to correct forum

Last edited by Raymond Wand; 11-13-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong forum

Michael, thanks for sharing. Look at the bright side. Mom's a realtor. Maybe she can sell it for them.

I remember a similar experience - a young couple bought a cheap old house and then realized they needed to know what they were up against. They found out by way of the home inspection why it was selling for so cheap.

But you know, a bit of sweat and tears can bring the old place back and if you figure 4 or 5 generations have grown up in the place, hey, they survived.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Those photo's look like a typical inspection in my area. I see allot of real old homes and DIY nightmares. In the average week I will see knob & tube wiring, old fuse panels, old galvanized and cast iron pipes, a water heater that 40+ years old, a furnace or boiler that's 60+ years old, and a mountain of substandard DIY improvements. Trust me I feel you pain.

Must have been watching the TV DIY shows and bought into Sweet Equity and Flip This House concepts. At least they will have Affordable Health Insurance

And I thought my worst was bad. Nothing in thathouse had been left untouched by an avid independent DIYer. That inspection took 7 hours and the report took another 7. But, it wasn't as old and bad as this one. I think the REA mom was lacking in the IQ department or maybe it was here first sale. No, even it was a first, no one in their right mind would recommend buying that house. They should of bought it for the land value only.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I have never encountered anything quite like the property at this inspection. I've just posted a bit of the electrical and the utility room, however the entire inspection was like this, to write up the utility room alone at a normal level of detail would have been an entire typical reports worth of defects, and then some.

The deeper I got into it, the less I could believe that is was actually possible for a everything at a property to be totally WRONG - the house was about as close to an actual HI nightmare as I'm ever like to experience in waking state.

They got me in there after the closing, by the end of the inspection one client was literally in tears - they had no way out, it would cost a minimum of $100K to walk away, and I'd say a minimum of $300K to put it right (starting with jacking up the back half of the house and pouring a new foundation).

And... and here's the piece de resistance ... the Realtor who had them sign this contract without a word about the risks was.... one clients' mother!

I could not take a dime of their money - the whole experience made me sick at heard and mad as hell at the same time.

(Later I found out that *their* attorney - who got involved only after the contract was signed and had been unable to extricate them from it - refused payment as well).

I don't believe I've ever tried to do the job as well as I tried to do it at this property, or derived less pleasure from doing it.

The whole experience just sucked.
    And God Bless you for your honorable and generous spirit, Michael.

You're a mensch!!!

If it hasn't yet been said: Thank you.

Where's Mike Holmes when you need him?! KIDDING!!!!!!!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Talking Re: Words fail me...

I have had a couple of these and usually as things start to unwind I will stop and give them 5 or more reasons why I should stop the inspection process and not charge them for a "report". In many cases they will accept my offer to stop and save $$$.

I can't believe a Realtor would let there kids buy that. Maybe the peroxide or botox injections clouded her judgement ......

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956