Jeff Ermis Guest

Default Countertop backsplashes

Here we go,
    After 18 years of inspections I have been truley stumped. Does anyone know if there is a REQUIREMENT to put backsplashes at SIDES of bathroom countertops. I have an agent who's escrow is hanging in the balance of this question.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Countertop backsplashes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ermis View Post
    Here we go,
    After 18 years of inspections I have been truley stumped. Does anyone know if there is a REQUIREMENT to put backsplashes at SIDES of bathroom countertops. I have an agent who's escrow is hanging in the balance of this question.
    From the IRC. (underlining is mine)
    - SECTION P2705
    - - INSTALLATION

- - - P2705.1 General.
    The installation of fixtures shall conform to the following:
    - - - - 3. Where fixtures come in contact with walls and floors, the contact area shall be water tight.

"WHERE" the fixtures come "IN CONTACT WITH" walls and floors, the "CONTACT AREA" shall be "WATER TIGHT".

The all cap words and what you take them to mean is your answer.

I know, I know, *Jeez, thanks Jerry, that was a big help.* Not!

Now a question for you: Why would *the agent's funds* be tied up in escrow based on that requirement? Did *they* state it was, or was not, "required"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeff ,

Where are you located? If you finish your User CP it will automatically show on the right side of your post.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If you've ever seen a sink that is shared by a couple of teenage girls, you can see why that became a requirement.

Young girls can mess up a sink quicker than a garage full of mechanics.

rick

Jeff Ermis Guest

The buyer wants "code" items repaired. What, "code" inspections, we don't need no stickin' code inspections. Some people can't see the forest through the trees. Thanks for the feed back.

Jeff Ermis Guest

Hey Billy,
    I am in the fine city of Vista, CA. First time on this board. I am confused by the term "User CP" at the right side of my post.
    Thanx, Jeff.

Jeff,
    If you go to the top left side of the page just under the "Inspection News" banner, there is a link labeled " User CP". If you click on that link, you can update your profile to list where you are located, signature, etc.
    It really helps to know what part of the country you are in when some questions are asked/answered. Like Jerry Peck always gives us the "Windy" response since he is In Florida and deals with hurricanes and such.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ermis View Post
    The buyer wants "code" items repaired. What, "code" inspections, we don't need no stickin' code inspections. Some people can't see the forest through the trees. Thanks for the feed back.
    Jeff,

I doubt that the contract even covers "code items".

Be that as it may, though, someone using the code section I posted would have a difficult time proving, or disproving, that back and/or end splashes are required.

"Where fixtures come in contact with walls and floors, the contact area shall be water tight."

Does it mean "where" "contact" is made, and only, and all of, that "contact area" shall be water tight?

I.e., Caulk the wall/top junction? Caulk the entire thickness of the countertop where it meets the wall? What if 'no contact' is made? Caulk around the toilet at the wood floor? Caulk the underside of the toilet bowl where it meets the wood floor?

Or does it mean where contact is made, the wall and floor shall be watertight?

I.e., Impervious flooring on the floor under and around the toilet and impervious covering on the wall around the countertop area?

Usually, code 'is not that vague', but that is an excellent example of why some jurisdictions enforce impervious floors and walls (back and side splashes) and other jurisdictions do not.

If a lot is riding on it - first, have the agents attorney advise whether or not 'code items' are included in the contract, then call the local AHJ and ask them 'Do you require backsplashes?'

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com